How do you 'unstick' a seized Garbage Disposal Unit?

Page 1 of 2
Have an Insinkerator(sp?) garbage disposal unit in the kitchen.
Badger 1-83A with a power cord.
The kitchen sink was not used very often, and the disposal not run for a while, suspect rusted 'solid'
Called 800 558 5700 and was told the wrench should enable to unstick [it did not] and don't recommend using any chemicals. Probably have to replace. Ok, so if I have to replace what do I lose by simply trying chemicals?
Does anybody know some way to unstick this thing?
maybe muriatic acid to eat rust, or Whink, HF acid, or ?? I tried lengthening the short 1/4 inch allen wrench to about a foot, but still solid.
Any ideas? I even tried the 800 ft-lb 'hammer wrench' feature of Rockewell's 3Rill drill to no avail. May have started to strip the allen wrench hole, though.
On 12/12/2014 04:52 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

With the power off, see if there is anything stuck that could be pulled out with a pliers. If not, since you cannot turn it with the Allen wrench...time for a new one. Sounds like the motor is ceased.
On 12/12/2014 03:15 PM, philo wrote:

Get a stainless steel unit. no rust. last much longer
On 12/12/2014 6:15 PM, philo wrote:

Most disposals can be released with a bit of leverage. I agree...it's a ceased motor.

The motor would cease operation if it was seized.
On 12/12/2014 9:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

How much cease would a ceased motor cease, if it ceased to seize?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/12/2014 8:24 PM, Meanie wrote:

My whirlpool washing machine motor ceased a couple times, and was able to free it up and oil it. But, that's a dry environment. In this case, I'd be think to replace the whole disposal, especially one with a ceased motor.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

the old fashion way of using a broom stick handle from the top of the disposer. Wedge it in there and see if you can get it to turn
On Friday, December 12, 2014 4:50:19 PM UTC-6, Robert Macy wrote:

All Insinkerators I have worked on or owned could be removed by a 1/4 turn...after removing the side discharge pipe.
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 15:52:24 -0700, RobertMacy

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

Especially if it's deceased.
On 12/13/2014 2:53 AM, micky wrote:

DOH!

You spelled it right.
90% of the volume of other brands are made by them too.
If you have to replace it, a small to medium (or big?) floor jack is a great way to lift it up while you're turning it like a glass jar turning into its lid.
On 12/13/2014 2:56 AM, micky wrote:

If it smells bad, is it an Ins(T)inkerator(sp?) garbage disposal unit? Ha, ha, Instinkerator.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, December 12, 2014 5:50:19 PM UTC-5, Robert Macy wrote:

I assume you tried moving it in both directions? If it's not just rusted, but had something stuck in it, then it might only go in the reverse direction. If that much force won't loosen it up, I'd say it's shot. Unlikely even if you get it to move that it will free up enough to work right or last much longer. If I were going to try something, I guess some light oil poured in and allowed to sit for a couple days might do something, but I tend to doubt you'll resurect it. Also, how old is it? If it's 10+, that's more than you can expect. I see new basic ones going in just 895 years.

I guess that's the "Methuselah" model, right? Having a hard time imagining what you intended to type, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.
On Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:04:23 AM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:

5 years. The cat was on my desk.
On 12/13/2014 06:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

My cat does that too.
The "BBC self installing keyboard assistant, Retail version" at http://notstupid.us/pic.php/IMG_0766
--
12 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).
On 12/13/2014 06:04 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

8.5 years? 895 days?
--
12 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).
On Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:38:00 PM UTC-6, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Don't strain yourself...he already said 5 yrs!