how do you deal with 1/4 cracks in an asphalt driveway?

I have a couple of small (but getting longer) cracks in my otherwise smooth and unblemished driveway, what is the best product to use to seal them. I'm a little uneasy about just filling them with a tar sealant because the disparity in color will make it stand out all that much more. Is there some product on the market that will seal the cracks to protect them from being further widened by snow and ice yet not discolor it to the point that it draws the eye?

Anything you apply to fix the crack will be visible. If you want it uniform, then fix the cracks, then apply a coat of dirveway sealer to the whole thing. For fixing the cracks, there is a product available that comes in rolls, like a cord, that you press in place then use a torch to melt. You can find it by googling or home centers may have it. Other products avail are liquid or squeeze gun applied.
how hard is it to apply the driveway sealer? Are there any online tutorials that can give me some tips on how to do it right?

They are right about once you fix a crack you will be able to see it. I have owned a seal coating company for over 5 years now and we use several different products to seal cracks with. The liquid stuff at Home Depot or Lowes is not too noticeable and then have it sealed afterwards. The sealing company you hire can do this for you.
-------- John www.cjsealing.com Home page http://www.cjsealing.com/help.htm Do it yourself sealing page. There is a lot more info though out the site.

It's a lot like painting. The actual application is easy. It's the prep work that takes most of the time. And that depends on what condition it's in. Basicly, you have to trim back any shrubs, etc that may be hanging in the way, sweep/blow it completely clean, blow out and fill cracks, fill in any small holes or depressions with crack filler, etc. The sealer you just pour some on, then use a broom/ squegee type applicator to spread it around.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in wrote:

It can be messy. Definitely wear real shit-shoes. Don't work in hot weather. A time of day when there is shade if possible. Preferably morning shade since the surface will be cool. Don't let an area dry then continue or you get brush/squeegee lines.
Stirring them is PITB. Stir all cans before starting to avoid lines mentioned above. Maybe they shake them now like 5gal paint pails. Not complicated but it's a job.
Consider getting a place that sprays it. Been many years since I had it done but comes out very nice looking. They did two coats. Hard to recall but I think it was about 2x cost of doing myself. Done in an hour or so.
Yellow pages. Call the driveway sealer guy.

Joe wrote:

Add character: Use bright yellow caulk.
Use a very fine dry sand, then crack filler, then have the whole thing resealed. There. No color difference.

If its relitively new and soft, gouge it out a little bigger and tamp in some new hot asphalt. Oh, you might need to beg a shovel full from a road crew if they don't have small bags at HD (I never looked so am unsure). Use crack repair if it is older and less plyable.
Is this a new driveway. Settlement of the gound due to change in moisture or season might be at fault. Might want to wait until the hot part of the summer to complete a repair. Small cracks in asphalt can seal themselves under the right conditions. Definately fix before winter when freezing can make it worse.
I have concrete now but when I was a kid it wasn't unusual for the bikes to fall over on a hot day because the kickstands would sink into the softened driveway. You should be sealing every few years anyway depending on your climate.

They don't sell hot ashphalt at HD, only cold patch. And both of those are for fixing larger holes, not small cracks.
Use

I've never seen that happen.
Definately fix before winter when freezing can

my asphalt driveway is over 25 years old, and has many cracks.
pne year i applied the sealer heavy which fills the cracks kinda and stabilizes things.
tried filling cracks once, endless all day project and only completed a small part.
so i seal every couple years and dont fret.......

"small"? How about width?
One thing that worked excellent for me with some cracks was to buy a bag/can (can't remember) of patch that actually has the real stones in it. Put it in the crack and on top of it and pounded with a small hand sledge. Resealed driveway and it was virtually not visable. Not gonna work on those narrow cracks.

it's a very narrow crack but I can see ice getting in an expanding it next winter. Sealing seems like a job where a lot can go wrong and sound like it will cost me at least a pair of shoes and probably pants and shirt. I'd like to give it a shot but I don't want to screw it up. I'd like to hear all the mistakes that people have made before I start so at least I'm aware of the dangers before I start. I like the tip about stirring all buckets before starting and not painting over dried area. Any other tips would be appreciated.

dont stress, a bad job only lasts a year. its not rocket science. you just do the best you can, it wouldnt be perfect, but a nice black driveway really looks nice.
its just a messy job.
Tips??? Call the seal guy. Like we said. He'll fill the cracks properly and you won't get your shoes ruined. This should be done at least every two years anyway. How long you had this unmaintained driveway??