How do i find a wood stud behind a wall that has a stone facade?

Page 2 of 2
replying to Oscar, Silverfox wrote:

I am doing exactly the same as you are and am having the same problem finding a stud. I agree 16" oc is normal however my stud finder did find one stud, with some reluctance, and it was 17-1/2" from the corner stud. No idea why. Drilling holes through the mortar will work and you don't have to worry about patching, since I would assume you would drill in the location where the mantle will be anyway - which will of course cover the holes.