How do I cut a piece of vinyl siding?

Could someone please tell me the best way to cut a piece of vinyl siding. I have to replace a piece that the wind blew off and I have only one spare piece so I don't want to cause it to crack when I cut it to size.
Thanks a bunch for any help.
Tom W.

with metal snips inside where it's warm.
Tin snips or a plywood blade in the circular saw.
--
Steve Barker

"twenty_over" <twenty snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
You can also put a blade (non carbide) in your saw backward.
It works like a charm.

Combine Steve and Greg's answers. Either buy a more expensive special vinyl blade or get a paneling blade and put it on backwards. Tin snips also work well, except it can deform the end a little bit.
Mike D.
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 03:17:28 GMT, "Mike Dobony"

I use a high speed grinder with a 4 inch thin metal "cut-off" blade.
Regards Dale

How do you hold the siding down?
with the circular saw.
--
Steve Barker

"Mike Dobony" < snipped-for-privacy@notasarian-host.net> wrote in message

Depending on what you own... If you want a simple straight cut a nice miter saw with the blade on backwards works real well. (the backwards blade does cut the vinyl it grinds it (minimizing cracks and breaks) With any powered device used to cut, make sure you do it slowly. Fast cuts tend to break plastic.
Tom

Every suggestion you have gotten does work.
For the first time the safest method is long blade, long handled tin or vinyl snips. This is about the same as using scissors. Make sure you cut the end that is going to tuck into a channel and use the factory edge where it overlaps the existing siding.
Note the word overlaps. Usually about 1" is the normal overlap factor.
Colbyt
twenty_over wrote:

An ordinary metal hacksaw will cut it. Bring the vinyl inside, if possible, to prevent cracking if you have it stored outside in freezing weather.
--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY