how can I remove this metal piece (based on picture)

Hello all,
I am a relatively novice handyman. I am installing new doors in my closet. To do so, I am hanging doors from the top rather than dragging crappy metal doors across the floor using a floor and ceiling guide. As a result, the current guide at the top of the closet's metal frame needs to be removed (see link to picture below). This is a metal piece that is somehow bonded to the metal frame, but it looks like it could come off after I used pliers and a few taps with a screwdriver/hammer combo.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2528575240092434605XceZNt
Bottom line: what is the best way to remove this piece? I think the screwdriver/hammer approach will only get me so far -- it seems to be pretty solid.
Thanks Mike

It probably is held up by screws driven straight up into the header.

I checked for screws, and there are some fasteners but they don't have a philips or flat head for a screwdriver.
on 9/18/2007 5:59 PM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said the following:

Rather than destroy whatever is around this piece, is there any reason not to attach the new track to it?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 14:59:03 -0700, chiaramonte.michael wrote:

Have you tried prying it off with a prybar? If nails are holding it in place, you should be able to loosen their grip a bit. If screws, they might pop but at the risk of tearing the holes they are in.
Your pictures are not all that descriptive but your intentions in posting them are great. Thanks.

They don't have a head -- they are flat and flush with the track. Maybe they are nails. I tried prying the track down last night but there are nails about every 3 inches. There are too many to start drilling them out. The nails seem to be pretty strong. I tried taking a picture of the track but it didn't come out well enough to show the detail. I can't really attach the new track to the old track -- otherwise there would be a one inch gap between the new track and the frame.
On Sep 19, 2:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Could the flat things you see be caps? Have you try prying them off to expose the heads?
The picture looks like you might be able to get the blade of a reciprocating saw between the track and header.