How can I lift a tree trunk for easier cutting?

Hi all,
Anyone got tips on how to lift a tree off the ground for easier chainsawing? I'm sort of talking about trees that are in a parallel stack and impossible to roll over. I was considering cutting a notch in the end and using a high lift jack to lift up one end, but I've never tried this before (till tomorrow anyway).
-Dean
dean wrote:

Pry one end with a long bar or a 2 x 4, put a block under and start cutting. Repeat as needed. Sometimes you can get under the center easier and slip in a block of some sort. Just watch the fingers when you do. Push it in from the end, never reach under.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

(with possible editing):

Use a cant hook.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

* PLONK *
A log jack will do. Here is a link to 3 useful tools. Google for cheaper versions. http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID 6863

I have one of those. Its won't budge anything worth the time to cut.
dean wrote:

Dean - See PICT0303.JPG on this web page.... http://www.peppel.com/katrina/page0003.html
I did a lot of chainsaw work after Katrina. In this picture we got TWO saws bound up and needed a 3rd to free them!
Saw on the left was fist to bind up. Initially it looked like this tree was under pressure from a tree and branches to the left and the root ball on the right so I started from the top. I was wrong and before I could pull the saw it bound. Second saw, the one on the right, came in from the bottom. That cut should have been proceeded by a relief cut on the top first, but wasn't. You can see the result. We brought in a third saw and cut just to the right of the second saw to free the first two saws.
To do what you described we used a bobcat with pallet forks! See http://www.peppel.com/katrina/page0006.html pictures PICT0382.JPG through PICT0386.JPG for how we used a bobcat to get a tree off a roof!
Something cheap, that can be handled by one person, and would fit in the back of an SUV would be ideal! Invent something.
(Sorry of this is a dupe post, I'm having newsserver troubles)
If you lift one end, you'll have to chainsaw from the bottom.
I'd be thinking prybar, and some thing to slip under the log, a couple feet from the end.
So that the weight of the cut piece is trying to open the cut, instead of trying to pinch your saw.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
[...]
P.S. - Those pictures began uploading to the net 9/27/05 at 9:30AM. if you do not see the images try back a few minutes later and they will be there.

Good reminder. I do own two saws, and have h ad one stuck at some time or other. The reminder is to bring both sas, even if I only expect to need one.
As it happens, I've got some saw work lined up for some time in the next few days, and i'll bring both saws.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Here on the farm, I'd just take my tractor loader and a log chain.