Hose repair kits

Page 1 of 2
My neighbor gave me a hose, good quality except the leak. It looked like a lawnmower nicked it.
The big box store had three choices, at $2, $6, and $8. The cheap kit was a plastic double male ferrule with clamps, the medium a brass insert with hose clamps, and the expensive one was brass with coupler blocks.
Is there any difference in function or durability? I bought the expensive one and it worked fine, but is a little bulky if you had a hose reel.
On 04/17/2016 02:50 PM, TimR wrote:

The plastic one would probably break, mid-grade would have done the job.
The last time that happened to me , I just spliced it with a spare piece of pipe I had in the basement and two hose clamps. I would not want to put money into fixing a hose...but a good one can cost a few bucks.
On 4/17/2016 3:50 PM, TimR wrote:

nicked it.

double male ferrule with clamps, the medium a brass insert with hose clamps, and the expensive one was brass with coupler blocks.

is a little bulky if you had a hose reel.

Lot of years ago, I did try hose coupling kits. With the cheap hose from the box stores, it's hardly worth the trouble. A good hose might be worth the repair (sounds like yours was injured, not sun cracked).
I've got a couple length of hose that are years old. When my Mom died this year, I could have got her old hoses, but they had been out in the sun, and were pretty dried.
Sounds like you did good to get the higher quality repair kit.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 5:14:06 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

If this is the first we're hearing of the passing of your Mom, I offer my condolences.
If you've mentioned it before, then I offer both my condolences and my apologies for not offering them sooner.
Prayers are happening.
On 4/17/2016 7:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Unsure if I mentioned it on this list. Didn't want to get into the subject all that much. Not much need for prayers, the family is moving on in various directions. My two neices (ages about 14 and 16) are having a rough time of it.
It was kind of a once in lifetime exprience, to find Mom dead on the floor. Some experience, once in quite enough.
Thank you for your kindness.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/17/2016 8:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Thread is only a couple hours old, and we've totally gone off hose mending. Sorry, I ought have changed the subject line.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

No good answer until you tell us what your water is like. SW Florida well water will eat brass or at least turn it kelly green. Connectors will corrosion weld. I would use a good plastic ferrule and to "all SS" clamps.
On 04/17/2016 12:50 PM, TimR wrote:

The problem with the hose clamp one is that you will invariably cut your hand on the loose end of the hose clamp, especially when you are tired with wet hands. This can be mitigated somewhat with creative use of zip-ties or heat-shrink tubing.
Jon
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 16:30:57 -0700, Jon Danniken

Heat shrink is the trick.
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 18:30:57 -0500, Jon Danniken

Duck tape over the hose clamps would be the ultimate DIY solution.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 18:41:12 -0500, "Dean Hoffman"

Once you find a guy on Ebay or MCM that sells you big shrink wrap, you will never use tape for anything you can get over the end of. Next you will want a $10 HF heat gun.
On 4/17/2016 7:41 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I've been known to use electric tape. Same concept. Though, heat shrink tube would do nicely.
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 16:30:57 -0700, Jon Danniken

I've never cared for hose clamps on garden hoses for this exact reason. If they are on the end of the hose, they will cut your hands and make using the hose uncomfortable at the least. If they are un the middle of the hose, they snag on every darn thing, and at least once, I had a clamp snag, and when I tugged on the hose, the splice came apart.
I have never had heat shrink large enough for a hose, but I have wrapped electrical tape over the hose clamps. That helps!
I have not had real good luck with plastic ends and splices. Many have broken, especially when used in cold weather (which us farmers do all the time because we use hoses year around).
The OP made the right choice with that brass fitting. They are costly, but they are the best. If it's a QUALITY Hose, I use them too. If it's just a cheap hose that I want to make last another few months, I will normally just insert a piece of copper pipe and hose clamps, then wrap tape over the clamps.
Back in the 50s & 60s, they sold these ones that you would hammer down the tabs. Those were the best. But they were made for rubber hoses, not the plastic hoses which are mostly all sold these days. But they were great for rubber hoses. Not bulky, not sharp on the hands, and they were durable. But I dont see them sold in the stores anymore. Here are some overpriced ones on ebay. (Just posted to show what they look like)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARDEN-HOSE-Replacement-Fitting-KIT-For-3-4-I-D-Hose-/171976746610
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:44:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Did you actually look for it?
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 12:53:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Nope, never even thought of using it till I read this posting. It sounds like a good idea. Next time I get to a large city, I'll have to see if Home Depot, Menards, or one of those big places has it. Our local small hardware store dont even have the small stuff. I tried to buy some of that for wires in an auto repair job, and they did not have any to sell. I had to use tape.
On 4/18/2016 12:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I've seen heat shrink tubing at Harbor Freight (though, not this large). Also some in the electrical section of Home Depot. There was some at American Science and Surplus ( www.sciplus.com ) many years ago.
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 13:35:45 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Amazon has a pretty good selection up to more than 2" diameter.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=large+heat+shrink+tubing+&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt 1&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis&_stpos425&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop&_dmd=1&_ipg 0
search box: large heat shrink tubing (without the quotes)
--
.
Christopher A. Young
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

I wouldn't bother. Far to thin-walled to support 30psi, much less higher pressures.