Honda generators

Ive had B&S worthless at 400, he meant 500 hours.
ransley wrote:

s82...
Yes..I did. What's depressing is that I had plenty of practice using single digits when posting the 2 or 3 thousand hour figures. Not only am I getting senile, but blind too. I see no sig separator markings anywhere in my response.
Sig separator follows:
-- __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ / /\\ / /\\ / /\\ / /\\ / /\\ / /\\ / /\\ / / / /\\ \\/ /\\ \\/This space for rent/\\ \\/ /\\ \\/ / /_/ \\/_/ \\/_/ \\/_/ \\/_/ \\/_/ \\/_/ \\/_/
Densa International© For the OTHER two percent.
'Think tanks cleaned cheap'
Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, I block all postings with a Gmail, Google Mail, Google Groups or HOTMAIL address. I also filter everything from a .cn server.
For solutions which may work for you, please check: http://improve-usenet.org /
http://www.google.com/products?q=+Honda+EU2000i+&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en
No prices? Plenty listed on a google product search.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
zxcvbob wrote:

I live in COLD climate. One thing about Honda, it is very easy to start even in VERY cold weather. I never heard Honda engine dying after 500 hours of use. When I had camping trailer, I had small one which did it's job beyond satisfaction.

www.Propane-Generators.com

Honda has a good thing and they know it. Nobody else can come close to the reliability, durability, sound level, and power quality, even though they claim to do so, and price their products accordingly.
What Honda is doing is encouraging you to work through local dealers rather than allowing online companies to blatantly undercut the local dealers. They do it because they can.
This is pro mom-n-pop stores, not anti-consumer.
If you have a camping world in your area, and know someone with a president's club card, you can get the 2000 for $929, IIRC.
zxcvbob wrote:

Try NorthernTools.com
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

zxcvbob wrote:

Hi, Bob. I'm a real fan of the Honda EU2000i. In a couple of earlier threads I posted stuff about my experiences with it. Rather than repeat, here are the links to three of those posts:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/msg/89eaab218c37adac
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/msg/112fb99d397f47b3
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/msg/b61e11de67a6b740
As far as pricing goes, I found a good price at a local Honda dealer. If you go to the Honda website, you can find what dealers sell/service generators. Here's the link to that
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/dealerlocator /
Good luck.

Honda will supposedly yank their distributorship if they list prices lower than retail. Last time I looked they were going for about $900.

I had one eu2000 last about 12,000 hours and the second one lasted about 7500 hours. They both were running about 1/3 throttle most of the time. Instead of buying another one (got kinda pissed off at Honda) I bit my tongue and bought a cheap Chinese 2000 watt genny from Pep Boys for less than $200. It's not as quiet and portable as the eu2000 but it has over 2700 hours on it and still runs great and has more power than the eu2000. Not so good for microwaves and such but works fine for most things.
I also have a 5000 watt genny powered by a Honda GX engine and at around 600 hours the ignition coil went out ($45 generic) and at about 2000 hours the exhaust valve broke and punched the piston. That cost about $65 for parts. Also, the muffler holes stripped out and I had to re-tap them and use bigger screws. Oh yea, right after I replaced the piston and valve the governor gear wore out and that required splitting the case again. That part was only about $15. Given all that the engine is fine now and I use it reguarly.

wrote Re Re: Honda generators:

I would expect what you just described from a cheap China engine, not a Honda. Perhaps Honda is now over-rated.

I wonder how long that Chinese generator would run that same side-by-side refrigerator on a gallon of gas? I am guessing it would only be a fraction of the 13 hours you got from the EU2000? When you are talking thousands of hours on $4.00 gas, I wonder if you still wouldn't be better off with an inverter generator in the long run.
On the other hand, if you are now normally using your generator at 80% capacity to charge your batteries, that is a whole different deal.
Vaughn

If you are only running the refrigerator then the inverter genny would certainly use a lot less gas. I'm guessing the Cheap Chinese 2000 watt unit would only run a few hours on one gallon. Six of one and a half dozen of the other. Personally I use the genny mainly for battery charging via an OutBack inverter so it would be running full speed most of the time. I figured at around 2500 hours (or something like that) the Chinese beat the Japanese as far as value per dollar spent to buy the thing goes. Once the cylinider and rings are worn out I suspect the Chinese engine can be rebuilt IF I can find the parts. It has an OHV engine that looks exactly like the Honda GX engine as far as the diagrams are concerned and I would not be surprised if Honda parts didn't fit right in there. I have not taken apart any of my Chinese engines yet so I don't know if the quality is there and I will say that the insides of Honda GX engines look like they were built to last.
I have an electric chain saw so I need to haul a small generator to my wood-cutting site and an eu2000 is a lot more portable than my UST GG2300 but it's not all that much trouble to put it in the back of a pickup. At least it's not worth the other $700 to me for what I'm doing. I have a worn-out eu2000 and if they ever make a replacement engine available for a reasonable amount I'll consider fixing it as they are very good generators and extremely quiet. But then the GG2300 is not particularly loud.

My electric chain saw is such a POS that I looked for convenient ways to cut up firewood with the gas saws. The Husqvarna is really too big, loud and powerful but the small MacCulloch is civilized enough to cut rather than throw branches as long as I don't file the rakers down. Those are the protrusions between the cutting teeth that control depth of cut.
I made two folding sawbucks, X's connected by 2x4s, put the log on them and cut about 8' at a time. If the log isn't too heavy I put the sawbucks in the trailer so the cut pieces fall into the bed. The saw's idle is set low enough that the chain doesn't move when I set it down on a clear spot to move the log. The noise isn't a problem here, the neighbors are bikers and construction workers with their own chain saws.

My reply to your post got lost too...
I would guess it would run about three hours on the same amount of gas. From my experience the inverter gennies are far superior on gas mileage when running small loads. But, like you said, it doesn't make much difference once you get up around 3/4 load or more.

One thing that seems to get overlooked is that the eu2000 is rated for 2000 watts for only 20 minutes. My GG2300 is rated for 2000 watts continuous and 2300 surge but, as Neon John pointed out, the cheap generator will keep chugging along if overloaded but the Honda will shut down. If the high quality sine wave is needed then sure, go with the Honda.

I can't seem to post a reply.... time for a new server..

You posted this one OK.

You posted this one OK.
Beats the hell out of my why that one posted. It seems my ISP no longer thought my six-letter password was adequate and changed it to eight letters. I forgot the change the password on my NG reader. It seems to be working now.

got mine at Mayberrys.com for $849 shipped about 18 months ago. You have to call them for the price.