Homeowners insurance accuracy of initial application?

Page 2 of 2
RLM wrote:

Re-writable optical media is probably the worst possible choice for reliability (next to floppies).

Even the write-once media got some bad press a few years ago in InfoWorld and/or PC World.
On Sun, 17 May 2009 15:10:39 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Some brands are markedly more reliable than others. Verbatim are excellent.

Still a heck of a lot better than magnetic tape - or NVRam. The big drawback to today's rewritables for archival use is they CAN be erased and over-written or altered while write-once media cannot.
Then of course there is the issue of poor quality Chinese Crap being passed off as quality media - but that's a totally different story.

recourse..
As far as making sure my important files survive a fire.. I use Carbonite online backup to keep my entire drive contents securely backed up in a remote location.. works pretty well. I had my brother sign up for it too, and it rescued all his data when his laptop hard drive crashed.
On Sat, 16 May 2009 21:22:28 -0700, "scorpster"

I wouldn't count on that. I believe Dick Cheney is there right now, reading and editing them.

Just take them with a digital, put in a folder structure (by inside, outside, room, whatever), zip it with "save full path info" and email it to yourself at like Yahoo. It's then there all nice and safe and accessable from anywhere. They do the safekeeping and backups.
I've had emails sit there for years in a folder.
On Sat, 16 May 2009 15:44:30 -0700, "scorpster"

Find another agent. This one is deliberately putting in wrong information to get a lower rate quote. He wants to make sure you buy the policy from him so he gets his commission. He doesn't care that by falsifying info on that application, the policy may prove worthless when you need it most.
It doesn't matter how great a price you get on insurance if it isn't going to cover you when things go pear shaped.

I agree with salty (2nd response to your question). Run away from that agent. He's not doing you any favors.

Doubt they would not pay for a fire because you have an extra dog, but they may not pay for a pool injury if you have the wrong type listed. Maybe your agent is trying to slip in a low ball price? If the application looks like fraud, claims may be in jeopardy.
scorpster wrote:

It reminds me of an old Alan King bit. He said he had a small fire in his house and called his insurance agent to initiate a claim. The agent looked up his policy and said, "I see here that you have our Fire and Theft policy." King acknowledged that that was what he had. "OK, let's see, said the agent,"was anything stolen?" "No," replied King, "just fire damage." The agent said he was sorry, but a claim wasn't possible. "What do you mean, I can't make a claim?" replied King, "I had a FIRE." "I understand," replied the agent, "but in order to be covered, you would need to have our Fire OR Theft policy."

Then fix it. If your non-documented dog bites someone who then sues you, your insurance may not cover. Don't take this needless risk.
On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:04:02 -0400, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"

And warn your agent/broker to be sure his E&O coverage is up to date. He may be needing it if this is his common MO.

Ask your broker, not us. Who the heck are we that you would potentially jeopardize your (and your family's) financial future over?
If for some inexplicable reason you don;t trust your broker, talk to your local, municipal, state/province or federal regulator
In cases like this it's always good to get a real and professional opinion.

if you have a claim the company can claim insurance fraud and not pay anything.... insurance fraud is serious. you can go to jail, although in these examples they may just not pay.
the broker just wants the comission

My daughter is a registered broker - and this kind of practice is SERIOUS. There are unscrupulous brokers out there who will do ANYTHING to write a policy, for the small commission involved.
They can lose a LOT by pulling those tricks. They want to be sure their E&O insurance is paid up - and if they get caught once too often, they may be unable to GET E&O insurance in the future.