Home remedy for hand swelling from bee/wasp sting

Page 1 of 2
Gat a wasp sting yesterday in the web of my hand betweeen thumb and forefinger. M<inor pain, nothing else. This am woke up with swelling on back of hand to where the veins and arteies are not visible,. redness, and somewhat reduced ability to curl fingers due to the swelling. Too early for dr office to be open. Any home remedys?
First, I'm not a doctor. I don't even have a first aid card, or CPR card.
That said, if it were me, I'd look for something with Benadryl (diphenyhydramine) in it. Tylenol PM and Advil PM contain that medicine. Supposed to be good for allergic reactions.
Ice packs for swelling.
I'm sorry to hear that you got stung. That's no fun. I got stung, many years ago. Mine (back of my hand, much like yours) was also not fun.
Gat a wasp sting yesterday in the web of my hand betweeen thumb and forefinger. M<inor pain, nothing else. This am woke up with swelling on back of hand to where the veins and arteies are not visible,. redness, and somewhat reduced ability to curl fingers due to the swelling. Too early for dr office to be open. Any home remedys?

I think you might want to see a doctor ASAP. If it is swollen that much There may be more going on than a simple prick and some wasp venom. If the stinger is still in there, it might have started an infection that will need to be cleaned out. In the meantime the antihistamine and anti- inflammatory suggested by Stormy are a good start.
--
Best regards
Han
Han <nobody nospam.not> wrote:

Definitely go to a hospital.
From what I've read and seen, people who get bit by a brown recluse spider and don't see a doctor can end up paying dearly with their flesh. They don't feel the bite, but they have a sore that is getting worse, and they don't have it diagnosed.
Generally speaking, a sore that is getting worse is a very bad thing. Probably doesn't matter much whether it's an allergic reaction, an infection, or a really nasty toxin.
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 04:39:08 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Just to add to the others.... http://firstaid.webmd.com/allergy-insect-sting-treatment http://www.emedicinehealth.com/bee_and_wasp_stings/article_em.htm http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-insect-bites/FA00046 /
Basically what others said perhaps with a bit more detail. I'm no doctor, etc... but I would also try to keep yourself hydrated with lots of fluids.
Hope you heal well. Keep us posted if possible.
On 8/1/2012 7:39 AM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

This happened to me and I now carry benadryl. You can try it, but get to the doctor. By the time I saw mine, a day after the bite, my whole hand was swollen and he gave me prednisone packet and antibiotics in case of blood poisoning.
While at our swim club, I was bitten by a yellow jacket on the finger and it was swollen by the time we got home. I took benadryl but swelling continued and the whole hand was swollen in the morning. I called the doctor and by the time I saw him after lunch the swelling was progressing down my wrist. It was like the sting was going to take over my whole body.
I've been bitten since then taking benadryl with minor swelling.

I think that sorta thing comes and goes, but should not be ingnored. I was stung many times by a nest of wasps when a small child, so am rather aprehensive around the stripy lil' turds. Lotta pain, but no swelling that I recall. My other stings have been varied over the years. Once, stung on big toe, foot swelled to size of football (age 13)! Less swelling a few years later (16). No swelling at age 48. No swelling, but extreme itching fer 2 wks at age 60. If you get swelling, I would recommend medical care immediately. It could be an allergic reaction, which can be fatal.
nb
--
"I didn't know I worked here.
I must've forgot my apron"

Try heat on 'healthy' part of hand, and cold on central area where badly affected. The premise is that the body's circulation improves with heat, because the badly affected area is cold, the healthy part of your body is not overwheeomed and can whisk away the damage very quickly, nibble away at it as it were.
Works on infections, too.
On 08/01/2012 04:39 AM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Make a poultice from Adolf's Meat Tenderizer and apply to the site of the sting. The enzymes in the product will help to break down the toxins, and the swelling will decrease.
Jon

and take an antihistamine.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Adolphs , season salt is not a tenderizer . Papain is the compound you want .
--
Snag

Next time slice the root part of the onion which contains most of the juice and work it into the sting ASAP This helps neutralize the poison. Inflammation can vary according to the individual. Were you strongly allergic, you would already be in the ER or dead
Ice and Ibuprofen can help with inflammation and pain. But expect results to be nominal. Topicals such a Benadryl will also be nominal.

Make a slurry of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and water, apply as a poultice. It may not help now, does if applied shortly after a sting. In any case, see a doc.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Depending on the insect's poison, the effects of either acid or base can be beneficial, in that the poison is neutralized/hydrolyzed. But I can never remember what to use with which insect. Ants would be base, since a major component of ants' poison is formic acid (the dutch word for formic acid is mierenzuur, transliterated ants' acid). Oh, here is the scoop: <http://www.ehow.com/how_5140997_neutralize-bee-wasp-stings.html
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/1/2012 7:39 AM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Immediately, ice application (wrapped in damp cloth) is good, along with elevating the part that is swelling. If one is allergic, has chronic health problems or immune compromise, then see doc. Ice 10 min. every 2-4 hours. After 24 hours, warm soaks should help. Face, hands and feet tend to swell more. I got a mosquito bite on my eyelid once that made my eye sell shut; looked like I had gone 10 rounds with Ali :o) Benadryl has always helped reduce redness and itching for our family; too severe, then cortisone from doc is the next step up. Anyone with allergy to stings should carry an epi-pen for emergencies.

Norminn, recently I had a large bump on my eye lid which was growing larger also making it close and I thought it was a bite too. I finally went to eye doctor who said it was a stye and she popped it from inside eye lid and squeezed it out. It took about a month to fully disappear but I never had a stye like that before. It was large and felt like a bite.

Check with your local pharmacy.

Most Republicans would recommend a tax cut as a remedy for all sorts of things, including bubble-baths, and, in your case, bee bites.
"HeyBub" <heybub NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

No way! It's Bush's fault!