Home inspection dilemma - missing gutters

Page 2 of 2

Never have the owner do the repairs, you will get the lowest, cheapest shoddiest repair. I am currently buying a home that never had gutters in 25 years and needs them along with a roof, repairs to the deck, fence around the pool, work on the electrical system and bannisters.
I based my purchase price on doing these repairs myself, however the current owner has insisted on installing the bannisters, even though I do not want him do because of the workmanship I will expect to get.
--
Nothing Remains the Same-SLQ

He may be concerned about liability if someone gets injured before you put in a proper banister. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Just for perspective, I'll tell you that my house has gutters on the front, and not in the back. We have a water seepage issue in our basement, but only in the front, where there are gutters - not in the gutterless back.
Figure out how much it would cost you to put gutters on the front of the house. Is it worth killing the whole deal over that amount of money? We are going to put gutters on the back, we just haven't gotten around to it. The estimate we have is for something like $800. Would you kill the house deal over that much? If not, let it go for now.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jon) wrote in message

(snip)
If you really want to back out of the deal, wouldn't the water seepage into the basement be enough to say it failed your inspection?

I would think no, if it was included in the disclosure.
--
JennP.

Sure. Your lawyer, your realtor, and you should too. Or you shouldn't have signed the offer.

Is this a deal breaker? As in you won't buy the house unless the seller installs gutters? If so, then walk.
Hate to be crass here, but here's your first lesson in buying a house. Know what you're signing, know what you're getting into and know the value of the home to you. Be prepared to walk if the home doesn't meet the value you desire or the money you're spending.
Jeff
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jon) wrote:

Lots of areas "gutters only over the concrete areas" is the standard...not sure about your area. Unless there is significant damage to the fascia boards, soffits, siding or foundation from the lack of gutters, my take on this would be that you're being unreasonable. If you want gutters, cool, put 'em up after you buy the place, but don't expect the seller to put out money for what is essentially an esthetics issue.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jon) wrote in

You made an offer on the house without the gutters (knowingly or not).
I don't understand the problem.

I'm no expert but I'd hold firm on having the gutters added or ask for some type of price reduction to be able to add them yourself mainly due to the water seeping into the basement. Just depends on how badly you want the house and all that comes with it. Ultimately if you buy the house the problem of seepage into the basement becomes your problem because your home inspector pointed it out and reported it to you. If you do buy the house and don't fix the problem then you could run into the same situation but be on the other end of it when you go to sell it. Again I am no expert but water seeping into the basement would be enough for me to walk away from the deal if she didn't at least give you a price reduction.
If you do buy the house I'd also be sure to regrade that area to slope away from the house.

Personally, I'm still trying to figure out why anyone considers the cost of the gutters - which will be absolutely trivial compared to the cost of just about any house - to be an issue.
What is it with first-time buyers, that they think it's reasonable to considering breaking a deal for something that is going to cost a couple of hundred bucks, at most? Cripes, don't they have ANY sense of proportion?

I agree with what you are saying to a point. However, I remember when we bought our house (6 years ago now) we had the same feelings...it was a case that we had saved for our down payment for a while and once we bought the house, it took most of our savings to pay for the down payment/closing/moving costs. We were concerned about any possible repairs we would have to make soon after moving in, as for a few months after closing, money was a bit tight. I think that is a fairly typical situation for first time buyers.
Tracey in CT

So you say "Put on gutters and I'll increase my offer by $1,000 to cover them." Basically nothing out of pocket for the gutters.
Nothing forces you to buy a house.
Jeff

No. And not only that, many of them would rather have absolutely the most things they're entitled to than a house they actually like. I think its an ego-response the the insecurity of not knowing what the hell they're doing.

Inspectors don't help anyone, and most of their inspection report is to make people think they got their money's worth from the inspection.
We sold our house to first-timers. What a PITA. We almost walked away from that deal. They wanted a new house but at the same price as a 30yo house. They just didn't understand that houses need maintenance and sometimes things are just old.
After their inspection they asked us to actually cut a new vent into the attic, becuase the inspector "decided" there wasn't enough ventilation. The inspector didn't like that some of the breakers were different brands. He saw some fading paint and assumed that the siding was failing.
On the day of closing, the buyers gave a new addendum to the escrow agent to give to us, and told her not to distribute any funds until she heard from them. Bast***ds are out of contract and useing the words "dry rot" in the addnendum, and claiming theres was bad siding (the inspection report didn't have any in this spot). We slapped some primer on and called it done, since all they were seeing was a spot where something had dented the siding a couple of years earlier.
If I hadn't been towards the end of a work contract, and us needing to close on the new place while I was still employeed, we would have told them to take a long walk off a short pier.

stating
be
with
the
some
the
home
house
be
the
away
I agree with this. If you want the house, just buy it and install the gutters. If you don't want it, pretext the water infiltration as the deal breaker, not the absence of gutters, and walk away.
On 9 May 2004 11:46:43 -0700, someone wrote:

Well, now you know what your first project will be, if you buy the house.

Doesn't matter what Seller is "stating", for WHATEVER reason Seller will not install the gutters. What is the time limit on your Inspection clause? Either exercize it within the time limit, or buy the house as-is and install the gutters yourself. Either take the house as is or walk. All rationalizations about what they SHOULD do are not worth a crap.
-v
over gutters? Good god, now I know how real estate agents earn their money.

I made a bid on a house once where the prospective buyers (that I lost out to) wanted the *door knobs* replaced. The sellers called me and asked me if I was still interested because they were going to refuse to do anything else asked (the doorknobs were the 2nd or 3rd ticky tack item). I already had an accepted offer somewhere else, but I marvel that someone wanted the door knobs replaced as a condition of sale.
Dimitri