Home Design Software?

I am looking for good consumer level software that will help me design a home and provide realistic walkthroughs, etc.
A family member has a VERY expensive design package with a steep learning curve, so I don't plan to use that. I want to use the software on my computer to help me take rough and somewhat vague ideas into a semi-final design. Once I really know what I want in some detail, I'll get him to put it into his program and finish it.
Thanks for any recommendations.