Home Depot Wants $100 to Measure Kitchen

Page 4 of 4

wrote in message | > | > > > I started charging for estimates a long | > > > time ago. Same deal. You sign up, you get a refund. Cuts down on | > > > the tire kickers. It also lets people know that you value your time, | > > > and you expect them to do the same. | > | > > So then a person with a remodel job would have to pay $300-500 up front to | > > get 3 - 5 bids and then only $100 would be credited back. Seems like quite | > > a racket. Why even be the low bid. You could make a living just going out | > > on estimates - just give an outrageous bid. I will never pay for a quote. | > > It's highway robbery. | > | > Wouldn't it be more like burglary since we're talking about | > houses? ;) | > | > You've heard the old saying, there is no such thing as a free lunch, | > right? Well, it's true. You may not think you're being charged for | > that "free" estimate, but you are. The contractor just buries it in | > his price somewhere. I prefer to be more upfront about it. | > | > It requires effort to prepare an estimate. There's the site visit, | > discussing the customers wants and needs, working up the estimate | > itself, then sitting down with the customer to review the estimate and | > point out where there are areas where money could be saved, or areas | > where more money will be required to do it right. In short - | > educating the customer. | > | > Where do you think that time comes from? I have no more hours in my | > week than you do. I can't just ignore hours anymore than your boss | > will ignore hours if you decide to skip work. From your comment, it's | > obvious that you're not the boss or I wouldn't need to explain this | > stuff to you. An estimate and presentation might take three hours or | > more. What do you feel would be a reasonable amount of money to | > charge for that time? | > | > Since you brought up the 3-5 bids, where does that come from? Do you | > think that somehow gives you a better project or saves you money? It | > doesn't work that way. Most people that get more than a couple or | > three bids are simply price shopping. They think that all contractors | > are interchangeable and will pick the lowest bid. My work is far | > above the norm and so are my prices. You and I would never get past | > the initial phone call. I screen potential customers at least as | > carefully as the owner screens me. If someone is price shopping, | > there are other contractors who are eager to race each other to the | > bottom of the barrel. I'm not. I've never been the low bid, and if I | > was informed I was, besides being shocked, I'd assume I'd missed | > something and go racing to double-check my estimate. | > | > When you hear about a remodeling project where there were horrendous | > cost overruns, it's usually due to an owner price shopping, taking the | > lowest bid and hoping for the best, or because an owner doesn't | > understand the correlation between what they'd like done and what has | > to be done. Both scenarios are recipes for disaster. | > | > R | |
I say give the window shoppers the free estimate without a plan and if they want a plan, charge them $300 for it and it is NOT deducted from the contract price. at least this way you are being paid for your time and you didn't waste more than 20 min. on a plan that a window shopper is expecting for free.
I usually give free estimates at the time of looking at the job, then I inform them about the "design fee" to get a plan.
works like a charm it usually weeds out the garden so to speak.
wrote: | > | > > My friend is in the market for a kitchen remodel. He says Home Depot wants | > > $100.00 to just come out and measure. I've never heard of this before. Is | > > this common? | > | > Just did this. The money is refunded/applied to your order. | | Which is pretty standard. I started charging for estimates a long | time ago. Same deal. You sign up, you get a refund. Cuts down on | the tire kickers. It also lets people know that you value your time, | and you expect them to do the same. | | R |

I don't know what "deducted from the contract price" means anyhow. Don't contractors figure out how much they want, and if they get paid 300 dollars for the first part, charge less for the rest of it?
If they didn't charge less for the rest of it, they'd be charging 300 dollars more for the whole job than they would have if the meausrements and plan were done after signing a contract?
(which someone might do if the contractor came recommended or if they had employed him before.)
So isn't it pretty much always deducted from the contract price even if they don't say so. If one signed a contract before anyone came out to meausre, wouldn't it be high enough (300 or whatever) to allow for the time it takes to come out and measuere and draw up the plan?

ScottO wrote:

That is the figure here - HD contracts out for a measuring service. As it turned out, we decided not to go with HD - we thought the $100 was forfeitied, so didn't even bother to ask. The kitchen planner flagged us down when we were in the store for something else so's she could give us our money back!

Damn, I'm in th wrong business. A $5 tape measure and a couple gallons of gas and an hour of my time for $100. Heck I could make up to $1000 a day.....
I'd tell HD that you have your own ruler and they can shove it !!!
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

Or don't have much of an idea what it takes to operate a business.
A $5 tape measure and a couple

George wrote:

And if you make a mistake, HD will tell you that you can EAT IT !!!
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

We decided not to go with Home Depot after the measuring was done and we saw the drawings.....apparently they measure the angle on all the corners and one of ours was off. Our kitchen is rectangular, opposite walls are parallel, so it made for weird looking drawings. Obviously, the wallboard at the corner wasn't perfect. If they couldn't see the obvious and correct it, I didn't want them mucking around in my kitchen. They had one long wall shooting off into space, about 5 degrees off 90.

This would be a very exciting design, and make your kitchen seem far bigger than it is. Especially when viewed from outer space. You should have gone with it.

I wanted something not off the self for plumbing, and Lowes wanted a few bucks to have a contractor to lay out the work. Before even buying anything.
tom @ www.OnThisDayInHistory.info