Home Depot

Page 2 of 2

Why do they need training? Aren't they just salespersons? All they need to tell the customers is just where the stuff is... :)

It will be clear, calm, and 78 degrees today.
Of course, it may be different where YOU are.
At MY HD's, in St. George and Cedar City, Utah, all is alive and well. No employee passes without saying hello, asking you if you need any help, and then walking you to the product you asked about instead of pointing. Getting to know some of the employees by a first name basis, and a nod when I'm running around getting stuff for a current remodel. No problem about getting help, or bad attitudes.
Each store has its own autonomy, personalities, politics, management, help, and other issues. Some are doing better than others, hence, at those stores, employees are working full weeks instead of partial weeks, which can affect ANYONE'S attitude.
MHO, YMMV. And probably does.
Steve

Maybe you were in a bad mood? That changes your perceptions greatly.
Edward

Nope.
On 11/11/2010 12:58 PM Country spake thus:

So where is your big orange store?

Coldwater, Michigan.

On 11/11/2010 1:40 PM, Country wrote:

I posted a thread on this a couple months ago. I'm in HD's home town, so I probably see things earlier.
What I do know is that they brought in some outside management to redo some things. Shortly after I saw about what you did. Employees doing the letter of their job, but indifferent to customers to the point that they didn't want to be bothered.
FWIW, it seems to be back to normal. Not that the HD employees I see really like working there, never really have. Lowes has got a much happier group.
Jeff

Yeah, I think the memory of that thread is what made me wonder about the change I saw this time. Could have been just a bad day in that particular store, tho.
-C-

Since when was HD's service anything other than worthless?
nate
On 11/12/2010 5:12 AM N8N spake thus:

Seems to be the luck of the draw. I have found some HD employees who are actually very knowledgable and helpful. One old guy in the store I shop at (Emeryville, CA) is very good with electrical stuff.

Oh I've found them too at both Borg in multiple stores. Then they suddenly disappear...

Seems to be that way in most any store. I have talked with electricians in the stores that were working there because of bad economy or they were retired. Same as in an electrical supply store I know of. Sometimes you just get a guy that only knows where the item is on the shelf if you can show him one.