Home Depot

Page 1 of 2
I was in my local Home Depot the other day and instead of the usual friendly service everyone I saw working there looked like they were not very happy to be there and a lot less friendly and less patient than what I remember.
Anything bad going on in the world of HD?
On 11/11/2010 10:40 AM Country spake thus:

Maybe just the usual crap? Stupid, overbearing bosses, crappy pay, virtually no training, etc.?
Friend of mine works at the Despot and reports all of the above.
Ackshooly, since I'm in my local store almost weekly, I've noticed over the last year or so a definite upgrading of the staff, as well as a noticeably cleaner store. They seemed to have gone on something of a hiring spree, and also seem to be responding to what they must know is a piss-poor customer service image. But this may vary from store to store.

Back a bit in NC I was in one and the tool dept head was venting to another employee. From what I overheard (and it wasn't hard) they wanted some people to come in, work for an hour, take their lunch break then work the remaining shift.

Imagine that. Am employer asking an employee to do something!
Ridiculous!
Steve

I know. Employees should not expect to have lunch around lunchtime which is somewhere around midshift.

Damn right. Employees are entitled to take lunch whenever they want. And take as long as they want.
Steve

Schedule like that makes for a messed up day. I'd certainly bitch about it. Work an hour, break an hours, work seven hours. That would get old fast.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

wrote >>>

It is definitely a safety issue. There is a falling off of performance about 3 hours after a fat heavy meal, and slightly longer for a carbohydrate based meal. Based on a study by a Certified Safety Professional with the Board of Certified Safety Professionals who owned Schram Catering, the largest caterer in the Gulf of Mexico.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Here in Oregon, a 15 minute paid break is required after two hours working. After four hours, you get a 30 minute unpaid break.
Of course, depending on the job, it may not be appropriate to take advantage of the system, but you do have the legal right to demand it.
Jon

Two hour is on the short side by law. IIRC, in MA it is six hours. In an 8 hour day you have to allow 30 minutes unpaid, but you can give a shorter pair break if the employees prefers it. We give 10 - 15- 10 all paid, but they still have the option of a 30 minute unpaid for lunch. The law allows certain job classifications to have no break.
You have to provide water, toilets, and not much more. No minimum heat required. Laws aside, you don't keep good and get good work from people unless you treat them well.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote >>>

How dare them not allowing an employer to ask an employee to do something!
:-)
On 11/11/2010 10:45 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

ISTR something in labor law about no more than 5 hours in a row without a meal break? Or maybe that is just the union contract where I work. (Legally meaningless, since I work for the Feds, but still mostly followed anyway.)
But yeah, expecting people to work (other than in an emergency) an oddball shift like that, is an indicator of piss-poor planning. By the last 2-3 hours of their shift, even for healthy people, their sugar levels will be way low, they will be making more mistakes and getting less work done, and they will be snapping at the customers. Hungry people are cranky people.
--
aem sends...

wrote >>>

I really don't know the legal rules and probably vary state to state. Probably something like building code where there's a national/federal code and local states can be more restrictive.
I seem to remember something about xx minute break for ever 4 continuous hrs of work. May have been a company policy and not a rule.
-snip-

Here is NY's law on it; http://www.labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/laborstandards/employer/meals.shtm
30 years ago I worked retail & the employer was breaking that law. A person complained. The employer found out. He fired them. When the labor folks came around to investigate the complaint, the employer told them he didn't work there anymore-- so there was no investigation.
Retail work sucks. But I'm glad I did it for a few months just so I could appreciate some of the better jobs I've had.
Jim
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:58:56 -0800, David Nebenzahl

"there is a new sherrif in town". Lowes opens very soon. Rona wasn't a real strong competitor, particularly being the far side of Kitchener and being Rona.

I've found this varies from region to region, not so much store to store. I don't know if it's regional management or perhaps they "feel the heat" in some areas more than others.
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:41:48 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Absolutely! When management starts telling you how good things are and how "you are in charge of your attitude", you know things are about to get even worse. :-(
On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 07:33:47 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Translated: "The floggings will continue until the morale improves".