Home computer problem

Page 3 of 7

11.01... I like!

I'm running W98SE and it looks like 11.xx is iffy for that system. Curse Microsoft and their planned obsolescence!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Curse apple too - if you changed OS you needed to upgrade all your software too, untill they started running UNIX on a PC and calling it an APPLE

Yikes! I quit running w98se after the 4th drive-by download, which wiped my 40G HDD. Been running linux ever since. That was 10 yrs ago. At least run w2k.

You can too and at no cost. It's called linux. They're really dumbing it down for those who don't wanna be bothered with actually thinking. Ubuntu linux is perfect for those folks.
nb
On 4/5/2011 10:01 PM, notbob wrote:

I like PC-BSD myself. ^_^
http://www.pcbsd.org /
TDD

No emacs?!!
Can't use it.
nb
On 4/5/2011 11:58 PM, notbob wrote:

Do dis B wut U B tawkin bout? -_^
http://www.pbidir.com/bt/pbi/251/emacs
TDD

Sounds like a vi user talkin'. ;)
nb -- "vi, the root of evil!"
On 4/6/2011 10:24 AM, notbob wrote:

I was actually emulating a guy I do telecom and data networks with. Me and my old hippie roommate have begged the guy to let us write his professional correspondence for him because folks don't take him seriously when he contacts them about a job. He went to high school and majored in football, it's really embarrassing to look at his Emails and other attempts to communicate with others via the written word. :-(
Deer John, Ide liak 2 speek 2 U abowt thee data caballing 4 Ur stoar.
TDD

That is the funniest line I've read in weeks Who'd have thought that a computer system would be out of date after only 13 years.
I have a question too. I'm thinking of upgrading to a color monitor . . . . . . . . . . . .
On 4/6/2011 4:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have some customers who are still running DOS, it just works. The only problem is that it may not run on this super newfangled hardware that's on the market these days. I have to dumpster dive and scavenge old boxes wherever I can find them for the old parts. :-)
TDD

A concept lost on M$.

Why is that?
nb
notbob wrote:

One reason is that DOS has no knowledge of USB devices (or hard drives larger than 32Mb(?) ). Further, older machines don't HAVE USB ports (although a USB card can often be added). Wouldn't matter if they did, native DOS still can't access a USB port.
We have users of our DOS-version software of eleven years ago (when we came out with a Windows version). It still works. Even in our shop, we have a Compaq Portable II that runs DOS. We use it to monitor communication over a serial port. For what it does, it does it well.

Nonsense. USB, OK, but I've booted DOS 6.22 on boxes with 20G HDDs, no problem.

Bingo! I still have floppies of w98 dos, dos 6.22, and w2k boot floppies with its virtual dos, in case I run into crippled Windows boxes. I no longer fess to knowing how, but I've got 'em jes the same.
nb
On 4/6/2011 10:26 AM, notbob wrote:

I've tried it and it's a disaster sometimes. I have had apps that slow down the CPU so the software would run but damn! It's easier to drag out old parts than to try to spend all day getting a DOS business application to function without GRONKING every 5 minutes. I just straightened out a Blockbuster video store that used DOS based software to run the applications. It runs serial at 38400 and 10/100 Ethernet on the same cable with a splitter setup on each end. It runs on some late model Lenovo ThinkCentre computers and uses com 1 to communicate with the server and the Ethernet goes to the credit card pen pads. It's loads of fun to spend hours on the phone with Indians I can barely understand to get that nightmare running.
I'm not a programmer but it seems to me that the DOS software I have a problem with was written for 16 bit machines back when my 386/20 was considered blindingly fast. Something to do with different address locations for memory, interrupts and timing. Like I wrote, I'm no programmer. Within the last decade, Domino's moved away from DOS/Win98 communicating with dumb serial terminals to Ethernet IBM ThinkCentre for terminals running Win2000 or XP then later to thin clients for terminals and I think it's embedded XP. I like thin clients because there is no fan to suck dust, cornmeal or flower into the darn things. They're a lot more trouble free when used in place of PC based terminals in the food service industry. Now if they would all ditch MS for Linux or BSD, I think there would be less trouble. ^_^
TDD

I don't doubt that it is doing the job it was designed for, but to curse "planned obsolescence" after 13 years is kind of over the top for electronics. You can still buy CRT TV's too, but few are sold. WinXP and W7 are far better in many respects than any of the former operating systems so there is no reason to stop improving.
At work we have XP machines and have no intention of upgrading until they start to fail in a few years, but they have been solid performers for what we do. At that time W8 or W9 will be the choice.
On 4/6/2011 4:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My TRS-80 uses cassette tapes for storage. Very handy.
--
Steve Barker

Oh, good Lord. Any pretense you might have had to any hint of a shred of credibility has been utterly destroyed by your recommendation of what is arguably the worst OS that Monkeysoft has ever produced -- and they've had some turkeys. I mean, really. Win2K??? Even Win95 would be a better choice than that.

Obviously written by a person who never had to use w95 for 8 hrs day for its lifetime.
nb

To the contrary, I had the misfortune of being required to use Win95 on the job for several years -- which is why I never installed it on any of my own machines. Apparently you've never used Win2K either at home or on the job, though, or you wouldn't even think of suggesting that someone use it. I stand by my statement: Even Win95 would be a better choice.