home A/C and R-22 - cost per lb

Page 2 of 7
Vic Smith wrote:

Like everything, there are tradeoffs. A utility closet air handler is in a more comfortable work location, but you generally get single side access. An attic mount air handler is in a more uncomfortable place to work, but you generally get all sides access to the unit. When I replaced my attic mounted air handler at my current house before doing anything else I finished out a complete decked work area around the unit's location as well as a walkway to it. That small amount of work went a *long* way towards making it an easier space to work in, even with low headroom. Far better than trying to balance on joists or move around small boards to sit on, and you can put tools down without loosing them in insulation.
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/10/2012 5:29 PM, ps56k wrote:

My wholesale cost doubled this year for R22 and it's still going up but there is still a good supply. o_O
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 10, 7:46 pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

OK - It is doubling, but how about some actual $$$ ?
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/10/2012 9:27 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Last I heard it was around $400.00 for a 30lb cylinder. It may be more now. I'm going to need another cylinder to refill the 7ton unit for my friend's church. It was one of 3 damaged by metal thieves. o_O
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Ouch! I just looked -- $375 here.

Last I heard it was around $400.00 for a 30lb cylinder. It may be more now. I'm going to need another cylinder to refill the 7ton unit for my friend's church. It was one of 3 damaged by metal thieves. o_O
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/11/2012 3:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Remember R12 and what government meddling did to it? ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Yes, I did. When I got my first car, I considered one of those freon tank conversions, to fill car tires. I had a couple, well, think I still do. Some where..... one's on a R-502 tank. I considered buying a full tank, so I could inflate tires with R-12, instead of having to keep refilling it with compressed air.
I'm not sure what others charge for R-22, retail wise. I guess I'll have to wing and guess.
I got to the parts house, about six or seven years ago. They were on the last few minutes of a blow out sale, on R-22, for $38 a thirty pounder. I bought two. I just didn't have any more space in my car to cram in another dozen or so.
On 7/11/2012 3:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Remember R12 and what government meddling did to it? ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/11/2012 7:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I remember when some of the larger service outfits bought pallet loads of R22 and stashed it in their warehouses. As an investment it has outperformed everything. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Sure outperformed bank accounts, at 0.99% APR.
That day of the sale on R-22, wish I'd bought a dozen or so. Throw out the box spring matress, put plywood over the freon tanks, and matress on that. Whole new look at keeping your valuables under the bed?
I remember when some of the larger service outfits bought pallet loads of R22 and stashed it in their warehouses. As an investment it has outperformed everything. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

$350 for 30 lbs.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CGI0/R2230/N1784.oap?ck=Search_N1784_-1_-1&pt=N1784&ppt À050
Add pictures here
✖
That's bulk price. I'm curious how much HVAC techs charge a home owner, when the HVAC tech puts in, say, two pounds of R-22 to a central AC system.
Thirty bucks a pound? Forty? Twenty?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

$350 for 30 lbs.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CGI0/R2230/N1784.oap?ck=Search_N1784_-1_-1&pt=N1784&ppt À050
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 11, 10:00 am, "Stormin Mormon"

I'll bet there is a wide range of prices. And then you have to factor in how much and what else they are or are not charging for. Meaning one guy could charge more for the service call and less per pound for R22 and cost the same or more than another guy who charges less for the service call and more for the R22.

Add pictures here
✖
On 7/11/2012 9:20 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Many service companies were charging $30/lb for R22 twenty years ago. O_o
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Adjusted for inflation, and quantitative easing, that makes out to be about $125 per pound, now?
Many service companies were charging $30/lb for R22 twenty years ago. O_o
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:00:18 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

100% markup seems to be about the minimum.

Add pictures here
✖
On 7/11/2012 10:18 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Many folks don't understand that other factors come into play concerning the price of refrigerant. Government regulations require that the serviceman have a refrigerant recovery unit on the service vehicle and other equipment that may not be seen by the customer at the time of service, then there is the stack of paperwork required by the EPA. Admittedly, only the larger service organizations will abide by all the regulations because they're bigger and juicier targets for overzealous regulators. The little guys don't have much to lose and usually aren't worth the trouble for the EPA SWAT team to hunt down. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:29:02 -0500, "ps56k"

Well excuse my vague answer but I just paid about $333 for freon put into one of my rental homes. I do not know right now how much was put in. We have had ads on the radio telling us locally that the price to put freon in your home a/c doubled or tripled this year and they aren't kidding.
Add pictures here
✖

AZ, recent visit, less than two weeks ago. Visit from factory recommended and fully certified, etc. cost $49.95 included 'courtesy' pressure checks on 3 zones. BUT,...an empty Heat Pump required 9.5 lb of R22 at $50/lb !! plus tax
Add pictures here
✖
Ouch! And, thanks for providing real number.
I installed a splilt system, years ago. Came without the usual factory charge, I had to put in the five pounds of freon.
AZ, recent visit, less than two weeks ago. Visit from factory recommended and fully certified, etc. cost $49.95 included 'courtesy' pressure checks on 3 zones. BUT,...an empty Heat Pump required 9.5 lb of R22 at $50/lb !! plus tax
Add pictures here
✖
Robert Macy wrote:

NW Indiana, had unit checked and charged just last week.
$85 service call $10 freon for all of 3 lbs.
Add pictures here
✖