Ho do I run a cable through the garage ceiling?

I need to run a TV cable from the inside of my garage through the finished ceiling in the garage (sheetrock), into the attic.
I understand that there is a problem with making holes in walls or ceilings in the garage, leading to living quarters or to the attic.
How can I stay within code while running this cable through the ceiling in my garage? Do I need special fittings or can I just knock a hole in the ceiling, run the cable and patch up the hole around the cable with patching compound?
Thank you
--
Walter
www.rationality.net