Help removing router bearing?

My old Makita 3901B router needs new bearings.

They arrived the other day care of a Makita Service agent.

Despite me asking (and showing them how far I'd got) they offered no hints as to how to do it (obviously grumpy at the fact I wasn't going to pay them to do it for me).

The front bearing took a little thought and was removed using a gear puller.

I am stumped if I can work out how to remove the rear one!

shaft | v

+---+---+---+ | | | |
Reply to
Antony N. Lord

It may have been heated and pressed onto the shaft.

You may have to cut it off.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Mcmaster.com has item 6342K2.

This is very similar to what we use here in the shop.

Reply to
iowadaddy

The front brearing was tight but not impossible (using the gear puller).

Looks like a long evening with the Dremel perhaps...

Cheers, Antony.

*** If replying via e-mail be sure to remove the obvious typo in my address ***
Reply to
Antony N. Lord

In the end I was able to get the rear bearing off using a Dremel.

I gently replaced the two bearings (front and back) tamping them in using their centres (or using the gear puller to push).

Sadly I tested it out and the rear bearing got real hot really quick - something is buggered up.

I gave up in the end and decided to cut my losses and returned the unit to the local Mikata agent.

They replaced the bearings (again!) and gave the machine back.

On getting it home I discovered :

a) They hadn't tightened up the collet on to the shaft - duh (and I have no idea how to do that easily) b) The collet is eccentric (off centre) - bit vibrates as though something is bent

After much thinking we (here at home) figured the original collet must have been damaged when we tried to get the front bearing off the first time. So we ordered a new one to discover the problem remains!

To me this suggests that either the tiny length of shaft (~12mm) that protrudes beyond the front bearing is bent [unlikely] or it has something to do with the collet rubbing on the housing. (In fact the back of the original collect is clearly burnished silver in appearance).

If you put a compass point in the depression of the shaft (no collet) and spin the router up there is no detectable wobble in the shaft.

Perhaps the shaft is seated too far back in the scheme of things?

I would really like some suggestions here - the toolshop doesn't seem especially helpful or clueful on this one and I'd love to get the old girl up and running again (there's so much to be routed!)

Cheers, Antony.

*** Replace the obvious typo in my e-mail if needed ***
Reply to
Antony N. Lord