Help, mathematically challenged

When I was in college I remember seeing the remains of a Dodge Charger Daytona, the one with the wing. It looked so sad and lonely there in the wrecking yard. Some kid had flipped it on the interstate highway at a speed in excess of 150mph. I loved the big engine brutes which got no gas mileage to brag about but gasoline was 22 cents a gallon so I didn't mind. Our family cars at the time had engine sizes like 383, 389, 425 and 430. Mom wound up with a Lincoln with a 460 V8. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yeah, we thought nothing of it then...the 4dr got when sold the Charger was a Buick Electra 225 w/ the 455 iirc...

The Charger actually was pretty good on mileage--we bought it to spec and put in a gear ratio to bring rpm down some at highway speed--took away a little of the acceleration performance, of course, but it was still plenty enough. For the time it was a great Interstate road car--not squishy soft suspension but still reasonably quiet. At the time we were in Lynchburg and traveling to far SW KS regularly where both sets of grandparents were--about 1550 mi trip before I81 was finished from Roanoke to Knoxville and I40 ended at Crab Orchard Mtn w of Knoxville across the Cumberlands and then dumped you in downtown Nashville. Another uncompleted stretch thru AR hill country from just west of Little Rock to nearly Ft Smith...

The bummer was the lead plugs that sealed machine holes in the Holley split-barrel carb would get soft after two long days on road and in the morning when cold they leaked. Had to reseat them w/ a small hammer the second morning before heading out again... :)

It also developed some nasty electrical problems w/ time...

Reply to
dpb

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:f75917fe-2894-455f-9726-e9051345e1d0 @googlegroups.com:

Volume is volume. It also holds 34.9 gallons of air, diesel fuel, or glue.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Note that 1 gallon of gasoline is equal to 1.15 gallons of water :-)

Reply to
hah

Around here, one gallon of gas is .9 gallons of gasoline and .1 gallons of alcohol.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why would it have to be water??? Are oil gallons a different size??

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

A gallon is a gallon is a gallon no matter what you put into it.. Now if you're taking about volume or weight, that's a different story. MLD

Reply to
MLD

And here I thought a gallon was a measure of volume...

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Depends on the date on which you state the equivalency.

Reply to
bud--

If it's anything it's 35 (US) gallons.

Reply to
harry

This is America where nothing changes.

One cubic meter of water = 1000 litres = one metric ton =1000Kg

I'm surprised no-one though to change it to "cups"

Reply to
harry

It took you a month to round 34.9 to 35?

Reply to
krw

But then how much volume of salt can you add to a gallon of water and still have only a gallong?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

But then how much volume of salt can you add to a gallon of water and still have only a gallong?

Harry K

You obviously have a problem grasping the concept of volume, weight etc. It might help you if you can answer this question:

Why is it that a pound of feathers (in a bag) will float in water but a pound of cement will sink to the bottom? MLD

Reply to
MLD

Why is it that a pound of feathers (in a bag) will float in water but a pound of cement will sink to the bottom? MLD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Because the pound of feathers is attached to a duck...and everyone knows ducks float?

Reply to
Fritz

If I believe you---a pound of cement is heavier than a pound of feathers!!!! Are you really that dumb?

Why is it that a pound of feathers (in a bag) will float in water but a pound of cement will sink to the bottom? MLD

Reply to
MLD

Hm-m-m, a duck in a bag?? How about all the feathers (in a bag) after they have been removed from the duck?? MLD

Reply to
MLD

Take the hook out of your mouth, friend.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Somebody tried:

169409478_n.jpg