Help, mathematically challenged

I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12 gallons. Any help is appreciated.

tia, Roy

Reply to
RBM

If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.

Reply to
recyclebinned

35 gal is correct. 1 cu ft = 7.48 gallons

28x18x16 = 8064 cu in

8064 div by 1728 cu in per cu ft = 4.6 cu ft 4.6 cu ft x 7.48 gal/cu ft = 34.4 gal

13x12x18 = 2808

2808/1728 = 1.625 1.625 x 7.48 = 12.155 gal
Reply to
Retired

Thanks for the help

Reply to
RBM

Thanks for the help

Reply to
RBM

This does all sort of tanks

Ed Pawlowski

RBM-

Both are correct...

~12.2 gallons & ~34.9 gallons

For reference the key for an easy calc is ...... 231 cubic inches per gallon

12" x 13" x 18" = 2808 cbiuc inches

2808 cubic inches / 231 cubic inches per gallon = 12.2 gallons

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

RBM wrote in news:515861f3$0$20197$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Someone might ask whether the decimal system is easier ...

Reply to
Han

You can do math using the google search field; in your case, it would be "x cubic inches to gallons", where "x" is the product of 28x18x6.

To put this all into one line, you could use the following syntax:

(28 * 18 * 6 ) cubic inches to gallons

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

28/13 -> ~2 18/12 -> 1.5 16/18 -> ~0.9

~2*1.5*~0.9 --> ~3-minus

12*
Reply to
dpb

Jon Danniken wrote in news:kja703$d6q$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

First, the approximation:

The larger tank is about twice as long, and 1.5 times as wide, as the smaller one, while their heights are about the same -- so one would expect that its capacity is about 2 x

1.5 = 3 times that of the smaller tank. If the smaller one is around 12 gallons, you should expect the larger one to be around 36, which matches well with the claimed size of 35.

Now the exact calculation:

28 x 18 x 16 = 8064 cubic inches. There are 12 x 12 x 12 = 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot, so 8064 cubic inches is 8064 / 1728 = 4.67 cubic feet.

One cubic foot is about 7.5 gallons, so 4.67 cubic feet = 35 gallons.

Your smaller tank is 13 x 12 x 18 = 2808 cubic inches = 1.625 cubic feet = 12.2 gallons.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Decimal? The only arithmetic needed is decimal. I didn't use binary once. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Thanks to everyone. I wish I wasn't so mathematically challenged, but I sure am glad all you guys are out there.

Roy

Reply to
RBM

If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Take the dimensions in inches, multiply them. Whatever the big number you get, divide by 231 (the number of cubic inches in a gallon).

tia, Roy

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Someone might ask whether the decimal system is easier ...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Google is getting pretty slick. The URL is pretty long so just try googling

3024 cubic inches in gallons
Reply to
Metspitzer

That means my 1969 Plymouth had a 1.66 gallon engine. (383 cid)

I know modern engines produce a lot more horsepower for their displacement and last longer. The sound of the old V8s with glass pack mufflers is hard to beat.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I have a 2.0 Turbo with 273 HP. Fast car, but it sounds like the family sedan. Cars are just not what the used to be in that respect.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Had '69 Charger 383 w/ 4BBL Holley that iirc was 335 hp. *Dxxx* I wish I had kept that puppy even when couldn't have gotten the kids and all the stuff in it when small...but definitely couldn't afford two vehicles back then. :(

The 426 hemi's were rated at 425 hp.

Warning-codger story coming... :)

Brother married daughter of local Dodge salesman -- this was when NASCAR still made manufacturers sell 500 of the production model they ran on the track. Dealers were mostly shipped on a random draw 'cuz they were difficult to sell because weren't at all good on the highway and local dealer was lucky that year ('68). Two years later still hadn't sold it so made brother a "real deal" on it when got out of uni. It was a disaster as a highway car--so hyped up you could barely keep it running at an idle; would be doing 50/60 by got to next stoplight w/o even trying, and got about 5-8 mpg of high test. If you recall, the gas filler cap was on the top of left fender; on the highway production vehicles like my '69 it was a 2" pipe that ran vertically down to the left end of the tank only taking up a little trunk room. On the NASCAR version, it was a 4" pipe at a 45-deg angle straight to the middle of the tank leaving no room for anything of any size; not even a spare tire. They didn't keep it... :)

Reply to
dpb