Help, mathematically challenged

Page 1 of 3
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12 gallons. Any help is appreciated.
tia, Roy
On Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:18:57 AM UTC-7, RBM wrote:

If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.

What if it's methanol, or isobutyl alcohol? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
If it's water it holds 34.9 gallons.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Volume is volume. It also holds 34.9 gallons of air, diesel fuel, or glue.
On 03/31/2013 11:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Note that 1 gallon of gasoline is equal to 1.15 gallons of water :-)

Around here, one gallon of gas is .9 gallons of gasoline and .1 gallons of alcohol.

you're taking about volume or weight, that's a different story. MLD

And here I thought a gallon was a measure of volume...
On 4/9/2013 7:15 AM, Attila Iskander wrote:

Depends on the date on which you state the equivalency.

But then how much volume of salt can you add to a gallon of water and still have only a gallong?
Harry K

But then how much volume of salt can you add to a gallon of water and still have only a gallong?
Harry K
You obviously have a problem grasping the concept of volume, weight etc. It might help you if you can answer this question:
Why is it that a pound of feathers (in a bag) will float in water but a pound of cement will sink to the bottom? MLD
Cement is heavier. You'd have to be dense to miss that. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Why is it that a pound of feathers (in a bag) will float in water but a pound of cement will sink to the bottom? MLD
If I believe you---a pound of cement is heavier than a pound of feathers!!!! Are you really that dumb?
Why is it that a pound of feathers (in a bag) will float in water but a pound of cement will sink to the bottom? MLD
Take the hook out of your mouth, friend.
BTW, thanks for the reply. Did you see the word "dense" that tips you off, that I know the concept? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Cement is heavier. You'd have to be dense to miss that. .
I got what you thought was a clever tip, pretty feeble---You may think you know the concept but density has nothing to do with it---Ships are "pretty dense" and they float; same principle applies as to why a pound of feathers floats and a one pound cement brick sinks. If you have another tip as to why I'd be glad to see it. In the meantime, if you want to see dense look in the mirror. BTW, Here's a tip for you--ever try to hold a beach ball under water? MLD
Cement is heavier. You'd have to be dense to miss that. .

Obviously false. They are much less dense than the water they displace. You do know the definition of density, right?
Hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density

Apparently the hook mad it way past your mouth. You're still taking up slack. worm breath.
I wasn't getting the impression MLD knew what was going on. But, you noticed, also. Some moments, not worth getting involved. Wonder why I'm writing this and getting involved? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Obviously false. They are much less dense than the water they displace. You do know the definition of density, right?
Hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density

Apparently the hook mad it way past your mouth. You're still taking up slack. worm breath.

Another idiot weighing in----Your quote: "They (obviously you mean ships, right) are much less dense than the water they displace." You know just enough to be dangerous (and stupid). The density of water is 62.4 lbs/cubic ft The density of steel is approx 490 lbs/ cubic ft---- Got it???? Steel has a specific gravity of approx 7.8--you do know what SG is, don't you? Apparently you don't know enough about the current topic to jump in--best to keep your mouth shut so you don't look so foolish. Because you need some help--"Archimedes"--Ever hear of him???? MLD

Certainly. Maybe you can read.

I've never seen an all-steel boat. Most have air in them.

No need to prove just how dumb you are.