HELP garbage disposal !

x-no-archive: yes Just a lady who is trying to figure out why my disposal isn't working properly. OK .. put some orange peels down it and it suddenly stopped and shut off. I cleaned out all the stuff and nothing was left in it at all. Water ran down and nothing stopped up. Found the Reset button and reset. The disposal is working about 15 secs and cuts completely off again. I can reset,reset and reset and it keeps cutting off. There isn't anything in it at all and the 2 little metal things that 'chop' up the food are rotating manually just fine. soooo any ideas on why it keeps shutting off completely. No humming or anything. Just dead in the water after 15 or so seconds. many thanks

The bad news is its probably time for a new one.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Stick the "clearing wrench" in the hole in the bottom center of the disposer and see if it rotates freely. If you don't have one that allows that, try rotating the grinding disk with the back of a long handled wooden spoon or something similar.
If it turns freely, you probably have a partially shorted winding on the disposer's motor, or a stuck centrifugal motor starting switch. Either of those faults will cause larger than normal currents to be drawn by the disposer and cause the overload "reset button" to trip. Those kinds of faults are beyond economical repair by anyone other than an anal DIYer with the right tools and knowledge and time to spare.
You're probably looking at replacing "the pig".
Good Luck,
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can keep smiling when things go wrong, you've thought of someone to

Then stop doing it before you break it real good!

They them self are rotating or the whole plate they're mounted on is?? That's the important thing not just the grinding 'teeth'.

... or a seized bearing.

I agree. If the "rotating shedder" (whole top, inside disk) is seized in place and can not be freed up by using the anti-jam tool (Alan key) (a feature found only on In-Sink-Erator built models) or a broom handle etc. from the top, a new garbage disposer may be the most cost effective route to go.
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=garbage+disposals
=~~~~~~

Sounds like it's time to call 1-800-Buy a New Disposal;-)