Help! Ceiling lights blown

I tried to change the fixture of my old ceiling lights. The fuse blew twice (very dramatic) but think I have the correct wiring now. However when I turn the circuit on the lights stay off.

The dimmer switch used to make a 'click' noise when turned on but this doesn't seem to happen any more.

Do I need to change the dimmer?

Reply to
beresford_angela

I tried to change the fixture of my old ceiling lights. The fuse blew twice (very dramatic) but think I have the correct wiring now. However when I turn the circuit on the lights stay off.

The dimmer switch used to make a 'click' noise when turned on but this doesn't seem to happen any more.

Do I need to change the dimmer?

Reply to
beresford_angela

My lights blew twice when I tried to replace the fixture. I think I have the wiring correct but they are still not working.

The dimmer switch used to make a 'click' sound when turned on. Is this the problem? Do I need to replace the switch? Thanks!

Reply to
beresford_angela

My lights blew twice when I tried to replace the fixture. I think I have the wiring correct but they are still not working.

The dimmer switch used to make a 'click' sound when turned on. Is this the problem? Do I need to replace the switch? Thanks!

Reply to
beresford_angela

My lights blew twice when I tried to replace the fixture. I think I have the wiring correct but they are still not working.

The dimmer switch used to make a 'click' sound when turned on. Is this the problem? Do I need to replace the switch? Thanks!

Reply to
beresford_angela

You need to...

  1. call an electrician

  1. a computer teacher

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

You'll have to give much more info before we can help you out:

- What blew? The bulb? When? As soon as you re-applied power or later?

- Replacing the fixture: does the fixture itself work, i.e. the bulbs come on at least momentarily?

Sometimes bulbs blow when you insert them in the fixture when the power is on (this has happened to me a few times). Try turning the power off first, put in the new light bulb, and turn power back on.

You say you noticed the dimmer doesn't "click" anymore. This smeans it could always be stuck "on", thus the blowing bulbs. The cheap dimmers do that sometimes, they can get stuck. Get one that clicks on/off when you rotate it, not when you push it in, they are usually more robust.

Reply to
jstp

The bulb still works. It went on for a few seconds when I turned the power on then it went out and sparks fell from the fixture.

Reply to
beresford_angela

Thanks very much!

Reply to
beresford_angela

dad was a little abrupt but when it come to the electrical work, I agree. It is time to get an electrician in. Something is wrong with the wiring. It should not be a difficult thing to find and fix, but it appears you lack the knowledge and experience in this area to do the job safely. While it might be possible in time to get enough information from you and back to you to resolve the problem safely, I suspect that would not be the best idea as it would be possible that if someone gave you some information and may have left out some very important bit of information, you might not know it and you could get hurt.

I do suggest that you consider having the pro come in and check out the job.

I have had over a dozen life threatening medical events in my life. Even when I was sort of sure what it was, I always chose to see a doctor and I have been glad I did. I am still able to write this because of it. On the other hand I would not expect my doctor to make out his or her own tax reports, but I could do that, that is my area. Your area is not electrical. Like medical it is a life threatening issue, hire the pro.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hmmm, how do you know the bulb still works if the fixture is blown (sparks flying???).

It seems to me the wiring was not done properly (wires not tied tightly), and they got shorted. The breaker must have gone off also, no??

You're not telling us enough to help you out. You need semeone qualified to take a look at it. Sorry.

Reply to
jstp

OK. Thanks. I'll get a pro in. I know the bulb works because I tested it in another lamp. The breaker did go off. Do dimmers have some sort of fuse that could have blown?

Reply to
beresford_angela

No. Dimmers don't handle dead shorts too well. You will probably need to replace yours. Get one before the electrician gets there so he can install it for you.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I think you should get a toggle switch and make it work with that. Then try your old dimmer if you want, or buy a new dimmer.

It's cheaper to burn out a simple cheap toggle swtich than a dimmer.

(I'm a little cautious with you because somehow you managed to just change a fixture (two or three wires) and still blow the fuse, twice.)

mm

he could attempt repairs. most of us have sparks at time or two, even pro electricians make mistakes:(

Thats how we learn, by fixing our goof ups. Better get a knowledgable friend to take a look. assume the dimmer is bad.

honestly its not hard if you want to learn!!!!!!

Reply to
hallerb