Height of kitchen counter outlets

Assuming you have 18" of space between the base and wall cabinets, how high should outlets be? I'm thinking 9" high, but I'm not sure.
Nec requires them to be no more than 18" above the countertop, so whatever suits your needs

Sorry, that's been revised to 20" above the countertop

So what does one do if the distance between the top of the base cabinets and the bottom of the wall cabinets is only 18"?
RBM wrote:

That post was an addendum to my first reply which states: Nec requires them to be no more than 18" above the countertop, so whatever

Mikepier wrote:

2005 NEC 210.52(C)(5) says "... above, but not more than ... 20 in. above ..."
210.52 has a lot more that you should read, if you are locating outlets.