Heavy bag in the basement?

Page 4 of 4
wrote

Chas- hi. i'm not disputing the facts of your experience regarding the polygamous clan you lived among, experiences on the highway with the uhp, etc. however, i would say that my experiences have differed from yours. i've lived in utah over a decade, married into a mormon family (my wife is ex-mormon), i work with mormons, live with mormons, etc. my wife's family has both strong pioineer and polygamous roots (her great grandfather's family was in mexico for a bit and they even have some cool stories about pancho villa). neither of us have ever experienced nor even heard of some of the views that you mention above. i would totally agree with the idea that utah is probably closer to a theocracy than any state in the union, but in the sense of the people being very conservative, religious republicans not insane gentile haters. i would also agree that they have a strong persecutory complex from their early history and that many of them believe they have the one true religion. however, i do not believe that the positions you describe above are held by the majority of mormons that a person would meet in utah. rather, they would be an extreme view. back to lurking...
regards,
dan

Yeah; my wife went Jack too- then returned to the Church later in her life, very ardent now.

Now give them a gun and see what happens.

The extreme view is just that- the extreme of a scale that starts from 'neutral'. You don't need to meet but one of the extreme ones, and 'neutral' isn't available at all. I'm probably more affrontive to them than you are as well. It's pretty obvious, from 50 ft. away, that I'm not Mormon- not true with them at all.
Chas

Just curious... how can your religious affiliation (or lack thereof) be obvious from a distance of fifty feet?
About half the Mormons I know own some form of gun. From what little I know, Mormons actually have a lower crime rate than the rest of the population. Not zero, but lower.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

know,
However when you do go crazy and commit a crime it's a real doozy. Anybody want to buy some letters? All original and going cheap,(or rather going BOOOOOM!) Ted
--
Evil is such a negative term........
I prefer differently moraled.

Maybe they don't count Saint-on-Gentile crime.
Chas
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:57:16 -0600, "Chas"

So good old Sir Arthur not too far off the mark then?
We need to get them converted to Shorinji Kempo. They'd still be captives of a bullshit religion, but at least they'd be combat incapable.......
wrote

I've been through that strip of land in a car, on a bike, and through parts of it on foot - met plently of people along the way. Never found there to be any peril.

Nah, they're just really uptight people.

None of the mormons I know are like this. Quite the opposite, most of them are quite friendly and helpful, often to the point where it's annoying. Granted I don't know what they talk about in secret but frankly don't care much either.

True for every other major religion.

Just for future reference, is there any group that *isn't* out to get you?

Even a good net has holes in it.

What does 'uptight' mean?

Obviously, it doesn't impinge on you much- not so for a lot of other people.

I've only identified one group that's 'out to get me', and that's corrupt government officials here in the Denver area. And I've proven it time and time again. If I knew there was a nest of vipers in your path, I'd warn you about them too.
Chas
On 13 Oct 2004 13:59:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Shuurai) wrote:

Only the ones that haven't met him. :-)
Badger Jones www.youngforest.ca
Only understood through prayer, and witness of the Spirit.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yikes, I hate to T-off on the various religious sects because reason ain't a priority with any of 'em anyway, ay, but the Mormon version of "history" has to go, Stormin' Mormon.
Let's not kid ourselves this stuff about Joseph Smith discovering a "lost" scripture and being able to read it suddenly with golden spectacles represents any kind of factual information. That's about a lame an origins story as I've ever seen.
Even the Scientologist scam with alien beings involved has more pizzazz- you Mormons need some aliens to spice this thing up. The golden specs routine just ain't making it. JS

------------------------ Why would I need to learn more about myself if I'm already all knowing?
When you send a message, make sure it applies to me also. Trust me, you don't want to be wasting my time.

I did some searching on the net as well after seeing that episode. It was pretty interesting. Dum dum dum.
Fraser

Same with us. But we read ours out of a hat.
Fraser