HD And Lowes For Roofs / Siding Work ? Do they Truly Stand Behind Guarantee ?

Hello:
Live outside of Boston.
Anyone have any experience with HD or Lowe's for house repairs like siding or new roof work ?
Would be most interested in hearing your experiences with.
How good is their guarantee to "make it right" ?
Do they truly stand behind the work they farm out ?
Easy to work with, and have work done to your satisfaction, etc. ?
Prices ?
Thanks, Bob
I would just go to a good local guy and see what they offer you. Home Depot and Lowes both farm out their work to subcontractors. Why the hell would I want my work farmed out to the guy who bids the lowest for the job while they make a profit off of basically doing nothing???
If you dont have any recommendations from other locals who do siding work, go to a supply place and ask them if they were going to do work on their own home, who would they use?
Doing a little research into the type and differences is siding can make a real difference too. Just start doing searches on the Internet and should find a fortune in information.
Just so you know, Lowes doesn't just give work to the lowest bidder. They actually have a set price list for installers for certain work performed. There are no bids put in at all. Every contractor that subs for them gets paid the same price for the same work performed. And, I'd like to add that they actually pay very well, so you aren't getting the worst guys.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The only thing good about going to Sears, Lowes or Home Depot is that you have someone to sue when things go bad.

A woman at work had HD side the house. The salesman told them XXX (some trim stuff IIRC) was included, but the crew was not going to do it. After a couple of phone calls, it was done. Overall, she is satisfied with the price, workmanship, has not had any warranty issues.
She had a few quotes and they were similar in price. I don't know the material specifications though. IMO, you can do as well or better with a local contractor with a good reputation.
Robert11 wrote:

Home Depot: Good carpet job, roofing contractor pushed very hard to sell a $2,000 extra-cost warranty but did good work.
Lowe's: Will LIE, LIE, LIE and say the bath kitchen cabinet unstallation meets industry standards even when the trim is installed badly, an end panel doesn't match the cabinet fronts, and the customers specifically approved chipboard construction when they specifically wanted it avoided because it gradually sags from exposure to moisture. Their corporate people will not help at all and will claim that idiot brat store and district managers have final say over YOUR satisfaction. Rip-off artists. It can be good to have a lawyer as a friend or relative who can write threatening-sounding letters.
Whoever you use, be sure to go over every detail ahead of time (don't hesitate to ask how every little thing will be done), and check the work as it progresses because it's much better than letting the work be completed and then going back to make corrections - for everybody.
Well, I am going to stick my foot in my mouth here. I have been in construction for over 30 years, i also spent 5 years at home depot, and 2 at lowes. They can brag all they want, but i know first hand of the number of complaints that were given, basicly once they have you, and your money. they send out a nice clean guy to look at the job. He may look real profesinal, he may be, but i can gurantee he is not the one doing the work, he is likely a store rep, or a company rep. He will try hard to add things you dont realy need. He will in no way profit from this but his store gets the sales, and in turn he will get a bonus in one form or another. He will go back to the store and do the nubers and call the installer, the installer may and may not look at the job. It is a cut and dry bid, allready aproved by the stores corp. office. The corprate office has neg. prices with these contractors to the point they cant make alot of money, so they have to either cut corners, hire ilegals, or find extra thing that "have to be done" to keep the warenty. Now, i have seen good store managers and asst. managers bite the big one and loose, in order to keep the customer happy, but that is a very long road and very rare, The asst. managers and manager DO get a part of that sale, so they realy dont want to loose money. The answer to your ? is both are so huge, if you are not happy, it may be a long battle, to get want you wanted, is it worth it. there are lots of local contractors that would love the oputunity to do the work for you. I was sucsefull for many years, based on a friend of a friend concept, word of mouth, when you see a nice roof or siding job, ask who did it. I hope this helps you and others in some way, email me if you would like to know snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

All in One Service and Repair wrote:

me once to have roofwork done with permits and an inspection by the city. Said the roofer wouldn't like it and would add on fees but that it was the best way to get a guarantee it was done right.