Hayward Aquabug problem

I have the Hayward Aquabug for my 18' diameter above ground pool. It worked very well for the first year or so, but after I replaced my pump motor, the bug stopped cleaning 100% of my pool. It does not move around the pool as well as it used to, even though it's been serviced by my local pool shop. Another symptom that concerns me is that when the pump is pulling water through the bug, I get a lot of air in my filter housing, and less water return to the pool compared to when the pump is pulling water through the skimmer. This leads me to think that my pump is too powerful for the bug - is that possible? The pump has a

1.5 HP motor. Is it possible that the hoses and bug are restricting flow so much that air is leaking through the hose and pipe connections?

Thanks for reading.

Reply to
00derek

I had almost the exact same symptoms this year when I started my pool up, with the aquabug only cleaning part of the pool and the air in the filter housing. In my case, it was indeed air leaking through the pipe connections. I disassembled the connections between my skimmer and pump, cleaned the gaskets, and reassembled everything tightly with some teflon tape around the screw connections. Afterwards the flow with aquabug attached, while still less than with the skimmer, is much greater and doesn't have any air in it. My aquabug is moving noticably faster and producing greater suction.

Reply to
bklock

I'm having a problem with the cone gears, which appear to easily get stuck. I took it to a local pool shop who said they dismantled it and found a lot of hair inside, which they cleaned out. The cone gear tube at the top still didn't move freely and, when I asked about it, the repairer said that it didn't matter. I don't think he's right. I'd like to dismantle the bug myself, but I can't find how to do it. Has anyone done it and could describe how, or know of a repair manual that gives instructions?

Reply to
DonJordan

"DonJordan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@homerepairlive.com:

Exploded view of unit available at:

Download relevent file(s)........ :-)

PS....the one I looked at was 212-213.pdf in "Replacement Parts - Cleaners", AquaBug hyperlink.

Reply to
propman

replying to DonJordan, BILL wrote: YOU TUBE

Reply to
BILL