Haunted picture frame

The wife had a large picture framed, brought home and hung on the wall. Now at times, when it is quiet, I'm sitting there reading and It starts a click, click, click sound with a few seconds between clicks. WTF? I don't believe in the boogey man and my house didn't make settling sounds before. Do pictures settle? S

Could be some expansion and/or contraction going on. Could take a day or two to reach equilibrium with the room. Is there a glass or canvas that is tight fitting?
Could be haunted though. I have a framed mirror that scares the hell out of me every time I look into it.

believe
two
of
I have one of those mirrors as well : )
Thanks for all the help. After the talk of bugs, I went over and listened when it started clicking. Could not locate, sounds like it comes off the front glass which is actually plastic. When I push on the front gently, I can make the same clicks. I guess it expands and contracts making the sounds. Thanks

Disassemble the picture from frame and check for insects that might be making the sound, trapped somehow. Sometimes things are that simple.
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
MUADIB wrote:

I second the insect idea, but I doubt if disassembling it will let you find them.
Maybe 50 years ago my mom bought a piece of imported asian furniture which made clicking sounds like that. After several months we found a small amount of fine sawdust on the floor in front of it. Tracing up from the sawdust we saw a hole maybe 3/32" diameter, but no sign of the bug. We never heard from it again.
The hole got filled with one of those nail hole filling crayons.
You might try calling an exterminator and seeing if they offer a process, like putting the piece in a gas chamber, which can kill bugs inside the wood.
HTH,
Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
There is a small wood boring beetle called the death watch beetle ( name derived from superstitious medieval times) that bores into hard wood and makes a clicking noise to attract a mate. As one poster suggested, check for powder deposits and small bore holes in the wood. Ron

Now
click,
believe
Throw out that piece of junk.
Snidely:
S > The wife had a large picture framed, brought home and hung on the wall. Now S > at times, when it is quiet, I'm sitting there reading and It starts a click
S > click, click sound with a few seconds between clicks. WTF? I don't believe S > in the boogey man and my house didn't make settling sounds before. Do S > pictures settle?
Is the picture hung properly? If hung from the top of the frame it may be settling due to the weight. If hung by wire or string connected to the sides then might be trying to maintain equilibrium as someone else mentioned.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Don't put down crackpots: they are wiser than they think.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971