Hats Off !!!

Page 1 of 2
What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 and under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) a nd come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on! I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same ge ezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. W hat has happened?
Ivan Vegvary

Styles change. Conventions change. Everything changes. Bitching about change is pointless.
On 5/21/2015 11:02 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Change is just change, not necessarily an improvement. I'm old fashioned too and I'd never wear a hat at the table. IMO, it looks ill mannered.
I also rarely wear a ball cap. Only in the rain. In the sun I'll wear a Panama hat and in the winter a Driving Cap.
Coupled with that is the ability to speak and not use curse words. My parents have never heard me use the F word, but today, young people use it in most every sentence. Women too. Yeah, it is just a word, but I still think it uncouth in normal conversation. A well placed curse is good punctuation, but should ber used on rare occasions whee it has real meaning.
On 5/21/2015 1:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I totally agree with you. Good post.
--
rebel

+1

rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat.
P. J. O'Rourke
but what they conceal is vital.?
On 5/21/2015 3:53 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

P J must have lived in a warm climate. And had hair.

Like you'd notice the head wear under those circumstances.... ;)
but what they conceal is vital."
Oren posted for all of us...

Is she doing it cowgirl? Yippee y o dot k (IIRC)
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 5/21/15 2:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When I was 5 or 6, a couple of times I mentioned sweating to my father. He snapped back, "Perspire! Animals sweat! People perspire!"
I don't know what animals except horses, sweat. There had been horses on the streets when he'd been my age. I guess calling a person sweaty was like calling the person a horse.
Profane words show disrespect for the listener. It's a matter of consensus, which depends on time and place. In the US, "ass" is no longer profane. The current UK list isn't quite the same as the US list. Synonyms for profanity are perfectly acceptable.
When my niece was growing up, her parents, who considered themselves quite educated, used profanity on her and on each other in her presence. That disgusted me. It amounted to saying, "I win because I disrespect you." It certainly wasn't necessary to use profanity on her. In case of an important difference of opinion about what she should or shouldn't do, I could win by my endless enthusiasm for arguing, like Sergeant Carter convincing Gomer Pyle.
Once when she was 12, I found her watching TV more than an hour after her bedtime because her parents weren't paying attention. I reminded her. She replied with the F word. I'd never heard her use profanity before. I didn't make an issue of it. She'd have to decide whether to follow her parents' example. I never again heard her use profanity.
Profanity isn't profane in the Marines because voicing disrespect isn't offensive. A friend was a drill instructor at Parris Island during his 12 years in the Marines. He and other drill instructors called their gunnery sergeant the Deacon because he never used profanity. They were afraid of him because he didn't need profanity to make a guy feel like two cents if he'd done something wrong.

Being a horse lover and owner, I'd take that as a compliment! Hoss (horse) from Bonanza was pretty cool guy too!
As a matter of fact, go ahead and call me an ASS. I also love donkeys and own one of them too!
Hee Haw! :)
On 5/21/2015 3:14 PM, J Burns wrote:

I like that. The guy was smart.
--
rebel

On 05/21/2015 01:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[snip]

Yes, "curse words" are best used only occasionally.
Unexpectedly, I once met a 15-year-old boy who knew that.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 05/21/2015 10:02 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Manners, otoh, _never_ go out of style.

On 5/21/2015 4:16 PM, dpb wrote:

+ 1
I was thinking along the same lines after reading the above. Styles and fads will always change but mannerism should never go out of style, unfortunately, I see it is.
Hats are worn in restaurants, men no longer open doors nor stand up for women and I seldom hear "no thank you" or "yes please" anymore. I blame the "ME" society. We live in a selfishly inconsiderate world we're most people don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. It's such a shame.
On 5/21/15 10:50 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Chefs and waiters wear hats. At one time, hats were worn for protection from sun, cold, rain, and dirt. It seemed unsanitary to wear one at dinner. That's not a problem with a hat that's obviously clean.
In western movies, cowboys often wore their dirty hats at the table. That was probably realistic. If the establishment didn't have a hat-check girl, somebody might walk off with their Stetson while their back was turned. I don't recall eating at a restaurant with a staff member to guard hats. Unless there's an empty seat, there may be no place to put a hat.
A ball cap has little purpose but to shade the eyes. If you're low on Vitamin A, light will bother your eyes. Vegetables and pills provide precursors to Vitamin A. The first step to conversion is to eat them with fats. Doctors have been telling us to avoid fats for 50 years; so it stands to reason that a lot of people these days would be uncomfortable without shade for their eyes.
In May of 1958, Marion Morrison attended a bullfight in Nogales. He wore elevator shoes, a girdle, and a cowboy hat. When the crowd cheered, he stood and tipped his hat. Then he realized he'd forgotten his wig. The crowd went wild. In public, never take your hat off.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.281189-Wearing-a-baseball-cap-backwards
if only someone would invent something to take care of the above situation....

On 5/24/15 4:54 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Ball caps have been boring since the New Era Cap Company standardized them in 1954. Before that, even players on the same team might wear individual styles. The great thing about "Field of Dreams" was their cool caps!
On 5/21/2015 9:50 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

I love old fashioned manners. Things just aren't what they used to be.
--
rebel