HardiBoard unsafe??

Just how unsafe is hardiboard to cut & nail? Reason I'm asking is because I just bought a new canister set for my AOS face mask and the instructions say it protects against organic vapors but not silica dust. Now I always thought a vapor was much finer than a dust, but I guess not. I'm planning on replacing a bunch of masonite with hardiboard panels but now I'm not sure what type breathing protection I need when cutting the stuff.
Red

The typical semi-cheapie particulate dust masks such as a N95, or a N100 if you're, ahem, particular, is all that you need. I like the ones with the little plastic exhalation valves as they keep the mask from getting sopping wet and uncomfortable. You'll be cutting outside of course, so just wear the mask and stay upwind. No problem.

Thats what I did but since I was 'upwind', I didn't need a mask- 10 years ago and still here
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:05:58 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

Should I wear any mask like this when I cut PVC?

Everything seems to be here:
http://urlwww--jameshardie--com.rtrk.com/pdf/install/install_plank_north.pdf

Protection from organic vapors is a chemical process. Protection from silica dust is just a really, really fine filter. Presumably the holes in the organic canister are big enough to let small silica particles through; or silica will plug it up really fast; or silica neutralizes the chemical process; or something else I can't think of right now. Not knowing much, I'd bet on the first one.
Nailing is no problem, but sawing makes lots of dust. You don't want to breathe the dust.
You can get "scissors" for Hardie products. They're fast, easy to use, and make no dust. You can rent them if you don't want to buy.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement