Harbor Freight vs. Home depot

Page 3 of 4

Yes, but is the wife satisfied with the results?
Joe wrote:

Impact driver? What's the point of that? Any variable speed corded drill should do fine.
desgnr wrote:

I have a Harbor Freight corded Multi-tool (the Fein Multimaster knock off) and a Harbor Freight 12" sliding compound miter saw.
The HF multi tool has served me well. But it is no clone of the Fein. The HF tool runs at one speed, and that is an oscillations per minute rate that approximately matches the low speed setting of the Fein. But for $35, I am happy with it.
The compound saw was was also priced right, about $150. I am less happy with it. Quality is noticeably low. I had to return the first one, due to a clamp screw that was stripped right out of the box. It also had flaking paint out of the box.
The dust collection is a joke. I've made quite a few cuts with the saw, and there is no saw dust in the dust collection bag. It all hits the floor (and me, and the saw).
Worst defect: the saw came with a fence that is out of square. When I put a straight edge against the fence, one side is out of alignment with the other by at least one millimeter.
That makes true precision cuts difficult if not impossible. Still, the saw does cut well, had plenty of power, and the results are much better than I can obtain with a had held Skil saw.
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.

Many people say "cry ONCE over purchase price and avoid crying every time you use a tool you bought for cheap."
HTH, Tom
I have and have seen tools that are fifty years old, and better than a lot of the crap they sell for new now. Picked up a Ridgid 12" pipe wrench today, well used, but still good .............. $1. Shop around, but be an informed shopper, just as you have provided the info on how to recognize the different grades of DeWalt. With few exceptions, quality tools do cost, but they last and last and last.
Steve
desgnr wrote:

My Black and Decker Fire Storm 18V drives 3, 4, 6 inch drywall/deck screws no problem. I have learned to buy square head screws. Much easier to keep the screw turning where Phillips will slip and strip too easy with high torque on long screws. Also helps to pre-drill the holes.

And it helps to coat the screws with beeswax, too. But then, when you go through all that, you coulda had a real drill.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

A real drill won't keep your Phillips slip/strip screwdriver bit from trashing the screw.

*Neither will an impact driver.
For those of us who have purchased impact drivers. Are they less likely to round out the screwdriver slot of screws?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That problem is almost non-existent. I have noticed that it occurs sometimes with philips screws when I aim the driver at a slight angle to the screw.

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:26:33 -0400, "John Grabowski"

I'll bet it does. I'm a recent convert to the impact driver. I'll definitely keep one on hand to drive long screws. [mine is a 10.8v Bosch]
Jim

Wiki has some good illustrations of the difference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidriv
When I bought a big box of the Phillip Green no-snap screws it had a special bit in it touted as not slipping. It didn't slip. Don't believe it was Pozidriv

As you can see by all the responses that there are many opinions. You have to ask yourself how much you are going to use it. If you plan on using it 8 hours a day, get a corded drill. If you are only using it a couple hours a day, get a cordless. You'll probably find that the drill will outlast the batteries before having to replace the drill.
It seems to me that my Ryobi batteries last much longer and run longer than the Craftsman, Firestorm and another cheapie brand I have. The Ryobi wasn't that much more and I would buy another. I can also use the batteries in the other Ryobi tools I have. But, none of them will withstand everyday use.
Hank
Hustlin' Hank wrote:

I have a 16 year old B&D 12 volt cordless and I didn't have to replace the batteries until last fall. I repaired a broken solder joint in the charger that was caused by years of the kit being bounced around in a service vehicle, but that's the only other problem I've had with the B&D drill. The old drill and case are identical to the newer Dewalt drill and case, even the Dewalt 12 volt batteries fit it. I believe B&D slapped a Dewalt label on the higher quality drills and branded the cheap stuff B&D after the Dewalt company was bought out.
TDD

Yea I have some pretty old B&D stuff including a 7.25 circular saw that was bought in 1983, seen a lot of use and not even new brushes. Bearings are noisy as hell and it sounds like it's gonna die next use. That next use has been going on for 3 yrs.
Couple of weeks ago I was in Ollie's Outlet (place like Big Lots) and they had a bunch of Skill saws to my amazement. Probably disco models. 39.95 for a 13a, 2.5hp, carbide blade, case, good feel, nice indicators and adjusters. Kinda hard to pass up at that price with only a Night of the Living Dead B&D on hand.
http://www.skiltools.com/en/AllTools/Category/Product/default.html?pidV 00-04&cidE
And Staples today had a 16gb thumb drive for 29 bucks. Had to pop for that cause my external drive has been kaput for some time and living dangerously. Backed up all my data files on a thumb drive now that's half the size of my old 256mb one. Still have half the drive empty.

-snip-
-snip-
Don't hold your breath. My B&D 7.25 was a gift from my father-in-law in 1970. Those bearings have squealing since 1990 or so. I don't use it much any more-- but a couple months ago I threw a diamond blade in it and cut 20' of basement floor. It likes the real dramatic jobs with lots of dust & noise.
When it dies [if I don't go first] I'm going to give one of these a go- http://www.drillspot.com/products/575851/evolution_power_tools_ragesaw_7-1_4_mp_hd_circ_saw $150 for a worm-drive saw that cuts steel as well as wood & plastic.
Jim

We should get to know one another better. Christmas is nearing. I'd like one as a gift Jim, ol' buddy...pal.
The electric tools (battery and plug in) are OK but clearly not in the same class as the top of the line stuff from HD. Of course selling for about 1/3rd the price does provide some compensation.
When HF shines (IMO) is with pneumatic tools.
The HF might not be quite the same qualify as the best HD tools but a HF store has a heck of a lot more variety than any HD.
Moreover HF seems to have a variety of fasteners available for each of the pnematic tools it sells.
If the already has an air compressor (he can pick something up cheap at HF) he may well find a pneumatic tool that's as useful as the corresponding electric tool.
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:56:10 -0400, against all advice, something

So . . . just that one time? HF should be fine.
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.