Harbor Freight Electronic Fly Swatter???

Page 1 of 2
I thought I had seen almost everything electronic, but a Harbor Freight ad in this weeks junk advertising flyer had a super coupon for a
"7.99 electronic fly swatter on sale with the coupon for only $2.49, requires two D batteries (old separately)".
It looks like an oversize tennis or badminton racquet. Not a clue if the batteries are hooked up to a grid to electrocute any fly that crosses paths with the swatter, or if you get a shock if you miss the fly, or whatever.
Does anyone know what this thing actually is supposed to do "electronically"?

Ia have a few of them and they work great, well the one with fully expensed wires does, the other one has grids of plastic to make it Kid safe and it's harder to get the mosquitos in, it even kills bees and horse flies , one wire must be positive and one neutral , I used to walk my dog where there were deer flies and had to stop in summer till I got the racket, mine were 15$ , if the wires are fully exposed get a few of them.

Glad to hear it works. I bought one for camp.
Greg

I saw a video on America's Funniest Home Videos where a guy tried to use the zapper-swatter on wasps,and got stung.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yeah. Ya gotta get way too close, IMO. I'll stick with my can of Black Flag wasp killer. Sucker shoots a 10' stream that'll take 'em out mid-flight.
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

I have one. Works great...like a bug zapper.
The only thing is, you can't swing it against things like you can with a flexible fly swatter since it's hard plastic. You have to hit bugs on the fly by startling them to leave wherever they're sitting and fly into the grid. Once that happens, the sparks and crackling begin.
Just in case you're wondering, it hurts like heck if you touch the grid when it's energized. DAMHIKT
There used to be another kind that worked sort of the same way. It was a fly catcher on a stick sort of thing. They worked really well. I've always wondered what happened to those. I haven't seen them since the '80s.
-snip-

I laughed at my son when he told me that. Then I was testing it one day. Glad I was outside-- Happy to report the swatter will survive being thrown 20 feet in the air and landing on the lawn.
Jim

I didn't throw mine, but my arm was sore for a while. By that I mean several minutes (IIRC). Certainly long enough that I won't test it again.
Of course, it was nothing like the time during USCG Electronics School that I got hooked onto a 400VDC power supply, hand to hand, across the chest, until someone pulled the plug.
I came back to class the next day but 2 other guys who had witnessed the event quit Electronics School and decide on a different career path. Wimps.

I got 500 vdc once, no one around. High current. A fly swatter is likely to be less than 30 ma dc max peak.
Greg
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:40:27 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Kill bugs! with a loud SNAP and a big spark! Where have you been, man. They are more fun than the twitchin' tool.
That's a high price, though. I buy a couple every time I see them for $4 at the 'dollar' stores or HF.
Warning-- If it doesn't seem like it is working, *DON'T* touch the damn thing. That jolt is stronger than the buzz you get from a 110 line.
Jim

From two D cells? Well, I failed physics in the Rainbarrel thread, so I'll try again. How can 2 D cells produce enough voltage/amperage/whatever to shock a person?
dgk wrote:

Quite easily. The three volts is fed to an oscillator. The output of the oscillator is fed to a 10,000:1 transformer. You end up with 30,000 volts (give or take) across the transformer's secondary winding.
There's really no practical limit to the voltage output than can be had from a 3 volt input.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I have not idea what the actual voltage in a fly swatter might be. I picked 10,000:1 as an example of stepping up a DC voltage.
I've seen the reverse, too. In making a home-made spot welder, you might use a 1:250 ratio transformer to convert 120v down to 0.5 volts at 200 amps.

-snip-
Thanks-- I'll tear one apart one of these days. In the meantime, my arm says 30,000V is about right.<g>
[I just wiki-pedia'd it. *They* say 1K-2.5K --- but I'm stickin' with 30K.<g>] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyswatter
Jim

No need for the transformer, even. A switch (oscillator) into an inductor will create a "flyback" voltage of pretty much anything you want. It's generally easier to combine the two, though; A "flyback" switch/inductor with a secondary step-up transformer. It's also known as an "ignition coil". ;-)

Oscillator and transformer.
I remember from some where, that tasers (used to shock people) might run on a 9 volt transistor battery.

From two D cells? Well, I failed physics in the Rainbarrel thread, so I'll try again. How can 2 D cells produce enough voltage/amperage/whatever to shock a person?

DC is worse than AC, with AC there is a momentary time when the voltage/current goes thru zero and muscles can relax and let go(sometimes), With DC there is no such chance.
Something in the dim recess of my memory, AC is much more dangerous, which is why Thomas Edison wanted to make only DC power plants. But, DC doesn't travel down the wire very far. And, so AC won out for power transmission, cause it goes farther. Parts of NYC used to have a power plant every couple blocks, with DC power being supplied to the people.