Harbor Freight

Page 2 of 2
I just tried their larger recip saw, and returned it immediately. At the lower speed setting (for cutting steel) it didn't have enough torque to make a cut at all.
I've had good luck, though, with a small hammer drill, and with their big breaker hammer.
Bill
Shopdog, 5/23/2006,10:26:54 PM, wrote:

Well, I just ordered a reciprocating saw or $19.99. We'll see how that holds up.
bill allemann, 5/24/2006, 7:12:26 AM,

How about cutting wood or through nails?
badgolferman wrote:

Well, the quality of those are horrible, some are not even the correct size and when you use them they expand and slip on the nut. Most of the air tools ( at least the ones that I have) are pretty good, they have been holding up for over a year now with no complaints. The welding wire is good, and the sand blasting equipment is decent. I guess some of the stuff is good, but like I said the hand tools are crap.

I bought one of their $20 reciprocating saws a couple of months ago. I needed it to work on the beam that holds up my back porch roof, and figured it it got through that then $20 was a pretty good price.
Once I had gotten rid of the blades that came with it, and the $10 pack of Harbor Freight blades I bought at the same time it has been working pretty good. I don't claim it is a great tool, but for my occasional work it seems to be doing just fine.
So far I have finished the back porch work, cut up some limbs that fell out of my back yard trees, and cut a drain pipe that I had to remove. It still seems to be working just as good as ever. That isn't a whole lot of work, but I don't expect to do a whole lot of work with it. And as I say, $20 for the back porch roof was a reasonable price, so everything else I do with it is so much gravy.
I do have a number of other Chicago Electric tools from HF, and am satisfied with them for my occasional use. If I was a professional I wouldn't even bother with them, I would go get better tools.
Bill Gill
Shopdog wrote:

I buy there fairly often - but am careful of what I buy. I've bought crescent wrenches, hammers, clamps, "dremel" accessories, tarps, and wheels and have been quite satisfied. However saw blades were a disappointment.
Bob S.
Bob S. wrote:

I, too, am a fan of Harbor Freight and shop at our local stores frequently. I am quite familiar with the differences between "good" and "bad" quality tools. If you shop at their stores, looking and handling a tool will give you a pretty quick indication about its fit and finish. Today, I looked at screwdrivers that I could probably twist in half with my own hands, and also at some that I would probably pass along to my children. What I especially like is their in-store specials.
Today, I bought a 600' drum of 3/8" polypropylene braided rope for $10. It's about the size of clothes line and is perfect for tying down things in the pickup. I also bought 6 of their $3 flyswatters to give to folks. They use 2 D-cells and really nuke a fly or bug when they come in contact with the grid. I found a $3 multimeter that is shirt-pocket sized and similar to another I keep on the bench. I bought it to give to a neighbor boy who's starting to assemble his own toolbox.
If you don't know what you are buying, then Harbor Freight is just like pot luck. However, if you have experience with tools, including power tools and even bench and floor tools, then you can get some really good deals.
Nonnymus

I personally try to avoid places like that. I have only dealt with a few items from Harbor Freight, and I would rate them as tolerable for the average homeowner, but not for a professional. I must say that I also bought from Homier. Their stuff is pure garbage. They do not stand behind their stuff either. In fact I bought a defective power tool which was defective right out of the box. They refused to even return my calls. After I contacted the Better Business Bureau, they finally contacted me, but still refused to replace or repair the tool. I would not recommend Homier to anyone. Compared to Homier, Harbor Freight seems like top of the line.
For me, being a farmer and retired handyman, I tend to only buy name brand tools. I have busted far too many knuckles using cheap tools.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Uh, crap quality at cheapo prices. The stuff is garbage.
On 26 May 2006 10:11:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yup, been there. The China-made stuff is to be avoided. I have to confess I did buy a HF China-made grinder stand for $25, but never a machine or anything that requires precision. Harbor Freight does carry Milwaukee and Makita tools which are very good. You just have to be careful when shopping there.
Downside to HF items.
Rubber used in the tires and wheels is of lower quality, ie; a wheelbarrow tire that is a year old is already dryrotting (as per friend) Cutoff wheels 4.5" don't last long at all you need at least 5 just to complete a small project (as per ME, it took 5 wheels to complete a trailer (4X8)) Parts washer (the green antifreeze looking stuff, doesn't clean as much as it suds,and it leaves residue. Bolt cutters-Jaws are soft Diamond cut off wheels -- actually Cubic Zarconia Solar battery charger, melts when placed in sun, no seriously it melted on my buddys camper
Upsides;
Pittsburg impact sockets are tough Cutoff wheels are somtimes cheap enough not to worry about how many you use.
Searcher
Their sawzall blades go dull rapidly. I got th eir angle grinder, and have been very pleased with it.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Shopdog wrote:

That's so you buy their cheap air scaller and perhaps a cheap compressor to go with it.
Pete C.