hanging blind brackets

I got new windows in my daughter's room, and the new window sits closer in the window frame than the old one. I went to hang up the blinds and because the window is closer in, when I went to drill a hole for the bracket screw instead of sheetrock I got the metal strip that builders put on the edges of where the top of the window frame and the wall meet. Can I just put the screws in the metal? Do I need anchors if I screw into the metal?
Thanks!!
Eddie
I got new windows in my daughter's room, and the new window sits closer in the window frame than the old one. I went to hang up the blinds and because the window is closer in, when I went to drill a hole for the bracket screw instead of sheetrock I got the metal strip that builders put on the edges of where the top of the window frame and the wall meet. Can I just put the screws in the metal? Do I need anchors if I screw into the metal?
Thanks!!
Eddie

I am assuming from your description that you are hitting the drywall corner bead. If the hole you are drilling is at least 3/4" towards the outside from room side of the wall most likely there is a stud behind the metal. Use a #6 or #8 screw that is at least 1.25" long to hit the stud.
If that is not the case and you can drill an extra hole in the bracket to accomplish that you should do it that way. Attaching it to just the corner bead is not a good plan but I have seen it work where there was no other choice.
Colbyt
use sheet metal screws into the metal, it will be more secure than drywall anchors

I think he may be talking about corner bead - which has no holding power, of course. The good news is that there is most likely a stud behind it.
Does the stud go the whole way across the window frame?

If your window is set in a recess, yes the perimeter of that recess will likely be framed with 2x.

Just use sheetmetal screws.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itemP82195645&ssPageName=STRK:MESC:IT