Hanging a heavy bag

Page 2 of 2

I just screwed a 1/2" (universal swivel) hook bolt into the center of the joist. it is easy to hang and remove. and when I am not hitting the bag my wife hangs her plant from it. it has worked fine for over 15 years. and NO complaints from the wife about vibrations or shaking of the house. (not from the hitting the bag anyway)
Don writes:

I have successfully made several ceiling hoist points to hang upwards of 1000 lbs (yes, one thousand pounds), using 5 feet of SuperStrut laid across several ceiling joists. Doesn't weaken the joists with drilling or screw- driving. Doesn't flex or crack the drywall under load.
Lay strut across joists in the attic. Drop 1/2 inch threaded rod through a 1/2 inch hole in the drywall, fix with washer and nut on the top (above the strut) and the bottom (below the drywall). Use a threaded rod coupler to attach a 1/2 inch eye to the end of the rod. The rod can project as little as 1 inch down from the ceiling, and you can just unscrew the eye, leaving just a bit of rod when you need to minimize the appearance. You could also make a cover or other hiding device and paint it to match the ceiling.
See my page: http://www.truetex.com/movemill.htm

Have you considered getting a bag stand instead? That way, you wouldn't have to do *anything* to the house. Sure, they're kind of expensive - but it beats sleeping on the couch.
Steve