handy man services

I recently sold my business, but too young to retire. I have a plumbing license, and I am good with my hands. I am interested in becoming a handyman/repair man for some appliances. How does a person go about becoming one? Do you buy each and every individual manual for fridges, dishwashers, and such? any insight will be appreciated.
On 4/11/2011 11:35 PM nefletch spake thus:

Your experience will differ from the next handyperson's.
No, one generally doesn't go out and buy *any* manuals. If you're faced with repairing something and you can't figure it out, *then* you buy (or more likely download for free) the manual.
Sounds like you might be good at plumbing but maybe not so good with stuff you don't have experience with, like fixing appliances. My policy is I try not to learn on my customer's things. (At least not too much ...)
--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
On 4/12/2011 2:49 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I'll agree with that.

I've never been in the appliance repair business, but if it is like most other repair businesses that I know of, it is one to get out of, not in. YMMV.
There are several parts of being able to do repairs.
1) Being able to take the thing apart.
2) Being able to narrow down what is wrong by eliminating possibilities or just looking for broken parts.
3) Getting the part(s)!
All of which can present challenges from time to time.
Jeff

Sounds like a dandy way to go broke. If you have some construction as well as plumbing experience consider a new career as a home inspector. Better yet, take your talents to city hall and sign on as a plumbing inspector. In that endeavor you might add some professionalism to the staff. Many cities are poorly staffed in that respect as some of us have learned from unhelpful experiences.
Joe