Hammer Drill Recommendations Sought

Thus spake CWLee:

It's not easy to recommend a size/type/style without knowing what he's going to use it for.

I bought a (cord-type) Makita drill/hammer drill that is the size of a normal drill, with a 5/8-inch keyless chuck. It works fine for drilling in concrete and cinder block for placing anchors and such. I think it was about $80 at Home Depot about 2 years ago.

These are the closest things I can find on their web site:

The difference seems to be the former is a 9/16 inch chuck, ligher-weight design with plastic housing (which has been fully strong enough for any task I've thrown it at), maybe appropriate for handyman. The latter is larger in chuck (3/4 inch) and uses steel as the front end of the body, making it a bit more durable.

HD has these 2 listed on their web site, which doesn't mean they are in inventory locally, however...

Happy Holidays!

Reply to
DaveC

Thus spake CWLee:

Whatever you decide to buy, when it comes to gifts, I look for a retailer that will offer a cash-refund or exchange. That way you can give your son what you think -- after your extensive research has found (c: -- a good purchase, and if he finds he needs more he can leverage your gift to buy "more drill".

Enjoy,

Reply to
DaveC

I tend to overbuy for those times when you actually do need to use that biggest size. Now, that said, you don't have to go out and buy a $900 rotohammer that will also demo concrete unless you think he will use it for that.

That is the thing about SDS bits. One size fits into the receiver, and the tips are the variable part of it. That also being said, you obviously can't use regular masonry drill bits in it like you would a hammer drill. They won't go into the SDS receptacle.

If it was me, I would prefer a drill and a rotohammer. A hammer drill will give you a drill, and a hammer drill, but it won't handle some of the tough hard stuff.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

But isn't "instant" a good thing. So many ads for so many things mention "instant".

Reply to
mm

Not if you're using them for professional use where time and reliability = money. The only complaint I've ever heard about Hilti is the price.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Not sure what you mean about Hilti and bits? Most every Hilti rotary hammer of remotely recent vintage uses SDS or SDS plus bits.

You can use top of the line Hilti bits that will outlast you, or you can use cheapo SDS bits from Depot or Lowe's that might last a couple projects.

You can use a top of the line Hilti rotary hammer that will outlast you, or you can use a cheapo rotary hammer from Harbor Freight that might last a couple projects.

In between the extremes there are midrange bits and drills that are probably the best bet for the average user. Hilti if you make your living from it, Harbor Freight if it's a one time project and Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt for in between.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

On second thought, forget Harbor Freight for a one time project, just rent a Hilti from Depot for the day.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Not just the price of the drill/rotohammer, but the price of the proprietary bits, too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

In current English, EXACT -a - mundo.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

When was the last time you used a Hilti? They all use SDS or SDS plus these days.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Lemme see ........................ about 1995. At that time, I investigated getting one, as the one I had loaned to me worked so well.

But the bits were spendy.

If they have changed, and now use the SDS bits, then I say that's good. The Hilti brand is a great brand. A quality piece of machinery.

Sorry, but I don't keep up on every element of the human experience, and may have overlooked this one, too.

But the caveat to the OP remains. Buy one that takes SDS bits, and you won't have to spend as much. Hilti or Itlih.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

In 1985, my boss had a Makita hammer drill. It was about $270, so I saved my pennies and bought one like it. Since then, I've seldom used the hammer drill feature. But, I've used it for a lot of years, installing deadbolts and other locks. And odd jobs around the house.

Then, in 2005 my new boss has a SDS drill that does also straight in and out hammer. So he can use it for flat chisel, also. That comes in handy to make holes through cement walls to run HVAC ducting.

I'm with the other guys -- get a 110 volt cord model. For home use, a cord is perfectly fine. Portable cordless is only needed occasionally, and then it's far more expensive for batteries and chargers.

I havn't used Harbor Freight's Chicago line of drills, but their impact wrench $39.99 on sale, has worked well for me. The four or five times I've used it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon