Hall Heater Pilot fails - windy day

In LA we are having many windy days. This week, the Hallway heater pilot turned of two days in a row during lots of wind. Heater and house is 50 years old.

I scarped the soot off the thermocouple but did not help. Thermocouple is in the pilot flame. Heater rood vent has a flue cap and is 12 inches above roof.

Can I test thermocouple with a DVM. What voltage when heated?

Trouble shooting hints are needed.

Thanks, Dave_s

Reply to
Dave_s

Hi, Another thing can you adjust pilot flame size bigger?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Dave_s wrote the following:

Maybe you can windproof the pilot light with some sort of barrier around it?

Reply to
willshak

You might want to try replaceing the thermocouple. In my experience they are cheap and easy to replace.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

But is the pilot light going out because the wind blows it out, or is the thermocouple coolking off too much due to the wind and then that is shutting off the pilot, or is the thermocouple just plain bad??

Reply to
hrhofmann