[SOLVED] gutter repair

My house has copper gutters. They are green of course but they are obviously old and quite solid compared to aluminum gutters. The vertical section that brings water down to the ground has a hole in it that lets water escape.

How would you repair this hole?

Reply to
badgolferman

If your wife would object to duct tape or an epoxy patch, get a piece of sheet copper large enough to cover the damaged area, smooth out the area around the hole, form the copper sheet to the pipe and sweat it on to cover the hole.

Reply to
Sharp Dressed Man

How big a hole, not big clear silicone, big a piece of copper, how did you get a hole in the vertical section

Reply to
ransley

Without seeing the hole, I'd say use JB Weld on a small hole, or solder on a piece of sheet copper if hole is big. How did the hole get there? Large bird with sharp beak?

Reply to
Jimw

Don't really know. Bought the house in July and it was there then. It's about a quarter in diameter.

Reply to
badgolferman

Bullet hole? How's the neighborhood? Reputation of the previous owner?

Reply to
HeyBub

Around here copper gutters are stolen every day, I dont know if you have that issue but if you do secure it better, a hole the size of a quarter, you could go to the trouble if its visable of getting copper sheet, I think muriatic acid will get it to green faster.

Reply to
ransley

For a 1/4" hole, I'd just use JB Weld and put a copper penny over the hole. JB Weld is strong stuff and the penny will match. If the gutter is still on the house, use Quick Dry JB Weld and hold the penny on with some duct tape till it drys. Or you could solder the penny on if you're handy and have a large soldering iron and lots of flux.

Reply to
Jimw

I don't live in that kind of neighborhood. Most people around here still don't lock their doors.

Reply to
badgolferman

And if you don't like the looks after repairing it, possibly you could disconnect the pipe and rotate it so that the patch faces the wall.

Reply to
EXT

If you use an OLD penny. (pre-copper clad zinc...)

I'd still probably buy a small piece of sheet copper. If nothing else the scraps can be used to back up welds in sheetmetal so you don't blow through/put a big glob on the back of your panel.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Solder a scrap of copper flashing over the hole.

Reply to
beecrofter

Steve Barker

Solder works very well on brightly-cleaned copper. You can use a couple pop rivets to hold the patch in place.

Reply to
Phisherman