end of my gutter has popped off, how to repair?

I noticed the end of my gutter in the yard after mowing the lawn recently. How do I reattach to the gutter? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
James Wobanwu

You can use a screw or silicone adhesive. Not much pressure on it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is there a recommendation for the type of adhesive? I was looking at one of my other ends and it looks like it's held by both sheet metal screws and adhesive.

Reply to
James Wobanwu

If there is an existing hole, take it with you to the hardware store and get the proper size screw. There are also many adhesives that will work like the silicone used for bathtub caulk. I don't know a specific brand but most any will work.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's most likely a sealant, not an adhesive (although many sealants can be used as an adhesive).

Get some silcone caulk.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Make sure it doesn't degrade under UV light; find a good outdoor caulk or roofing sealant.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Just get the type screws it already has. I note that on my old gutters they wemt through both sides and screw head shows but my new gutters have attachments where screw is only visible from inside top of gutter. Adhesives are not use for attachment but maybe to seal from leaks.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Generally they are "crimped" on and sealed with sealant. Sometimes "pop" rivetted as well. That's what "I" would do, being I have a LOT of small rivets left over from various projects - mostly "plane shaped objects" built by friends.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Mine have screws, sheet metal self tappers, but if one comes out I do a pop rivet.

A pop rivet is fewer trips up and down the ladder for obvious reasons.

Reply to
TimR

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 14:02:40 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to digest...

B-17 ? ;)

Reply to
Tekkie©

That's how mine are done. To repair, if you have the tools and it was riveted I'd do that. No tools and it was riveted you can use sheet metal screws. Just crimped on, then just use silicone sealant, which needs to be applied anyway to make it water tight.

Reply to
trader_4

I can't remember why I bought my pop riveter (blind riveter.) I haven't used it that often but it does come in handy once in a while.

There is one huge advantage over sheet metal screws. You put the pin in the riveter, climb the ladder, insert and squeeze, and you're done.

With a sheet metal self tapper, you climb the ladder with a screwdriver and the screw, fiddle around getting it lined up and the screwdriver tip on it, start to turn and it squirts out and falls in the bushes. So you go back down the ladder, look for ten minutes, give up and get a new screw. This time you'll be more careful. Maybe.

Reply to
TimR

I've pop riveted fallen downspouts with it but still had to drill holes for the rivets. It is easier than self tapping screws.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Sure, but if someone is asking here how to repaid a downspout, they probably do not have a pop rivet gun.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And as it falls, you reach for it, you lunge for it, and you fall off the ladder. From now on you have to pay someone to go up the ladder for you.

This evening I wore my slippers outside of the house and caught them on the only step leading into my front door, becaue they're longer than my shoes. Fell on my knees and face. It's a dangerous world.

Reply to
micky

Why would you take only one screw up the ladder with you? Take a pocketful.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

You really don't need a whole pocketful. A spare or two would suffice.

Reply to
rnicky

The same thing happened to Biden going up the airstairs.

Reply to
Rapida Muerte