Ground Rods?

My homes foundation was backfield with sand for water drainage.The 2 ground rods are buried in this sand.Does this sand provide a good ground versus buried in gravel? I think both rods are completely in the sand.
<JOE> wrote:

if dry. Water conducts so moist is best.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?

Sand is better conductor than gravel when wet. Sand and gravel by itself (dry, that is) are excellent insulators, not good for ground. If you go to a major electrical substation you often see gravel all around, especially around the fence lines. Its a good insulation and could prevent you form electrocuted.
<Frank> wrote in message

In most places gravel is placed instead of grass. There is very little upkeep on it. Just squirt it with some roundup to keep the grass out.
It has nothing to do with insulation.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

I never thought of this before but the gravel/insulation idea sounds like it could very well be true. If they wanted minimum upkeep the entire area would be on one single concrete slab, but they don't do that. Inside the fenced area's you will find many different concrete slabs with gravel in between them.
Check out the photos on this site.
http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/substation.html
Every one that shows the base has separate concrete slabs and gravel in between. You can zoom in for some nice closeups. I learned something new today. Thanks Frank!
Tony

Sure it does, just look up substation grounding, step and touch potential, IEEE and other articles on grounding and gravel.