Ground Hog

Just saw a Groung Hog hack his way threw our lattace which surrounds our deck. He of course will trench and dig holes. The deck is about 1 foot off the ground. How can I lure him out, or get rid of him. I don't want to tear up the deck boards, and make a mess. Our deck is really nice, and then HE decides to set up shop....... Any ideas????

Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Hi, Trap? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I saw a neat trick on one of the home shows, you make a funnel like exit hole near the same one that its using now make it long enough to get away from the fence and the little bugger can make it out but can't figure out how to get back in because he is expecting the opening to be near the fence. They also dug around the whole deck and put hardware cloth down a few inches and attached to the deck so reentry was harder as well.

Hope that helps, Rich

Reply to
Rich

lattace which surrounds our

mothballs

Reply to
Kathy

How do you spread their little legs apart?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

This is Turtle.

if you are really wanting to get rid of the ground hogs, buy you a Mole trap or in this case a Ground hog trap. You do know it will kill the ground hob when the the trap trips. You pull back a spring loaded 3 spike device and lock it and put it in the hole way where he comes out. He will trip the trap and 3 spikes comes down and sends him to Ground Hog Heaven. Anything that goes through the trap and trips it. It is go.

Or Find out what Ground Hogs like to eat and make a friend of him. Then you could have your own ground hog to tell the weather for the people in the subdevision you live in. You know seeing his shadow and all.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

It could be a she GH with kiddles under there. If you evict it, you may end up with dead babies underneath. You didn't say where you live, but it's probably too late in the year for dependant offspring.

  1. Call local Animal control.
  2. Temporarily fence along bottom of deck leaving one escape route with a trap door that only works out not in. It will leave and can't get back in and will move on.
  3. Play a radio tuned to Rush Limbaugh under the porch. GH are incurable liberals. You can tell by there pink tongues. ;-)
  4. I'd rather have the GH than the smell of mothballs.

Steve

41N
Reply to
Steve IA

I used to have a beatiful, clear redwood deck that a family of groundhogs moved in underneath. They must not have had a taste for redwood or the treated wood posts and framing. We coexisted peacefully for about 13 years (then I moved).

Reply to
Jim Ranieri

To catch the groundhog, if you don't want to deal with the mess of a big dead animal (or pieces) by catching it in a leg (snap) trap or snare, try live catching it. There are Havahart traps that you can get at Menards (call your hardware store if they're a different chain). Then you can get it down to animal control and they can dispose of it, or you can run it out to an open area and set it free. Groundhogs absolutely love apples, it's like catnip is to cats, so put a few pieces in the end of the cage and some water, and some cat food or whatever. I did that, and got saw that I had my under-porch groundhog the very next day. I drove it out to the country, and set it free.

The big holes aren't the problem. They love to have a big ole comfy den, so the mansion they dig out for themselves that could undermine your porch footing or foundation is the bigger worry. Don't let them set up house. By the way, autumn is when the mamas usually look for a home for the winter to give birth, so being spring, maybe this should be a sole groundhog.

After you catch it, take off your lattice, and nail or staple chicken wire beh>Just saw a Groung Hog hack his way threw our lattace which surrounds our >deck.

Reply to
siteseer

Just got a ground hog out front of the house on a can of sardines. Trap was set for racoon at ground level. I swear i would not beleive that groundhogs would touch fish either.

100% true.

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy