"Great Neck" tap wrench doesn't grip tap

I bought a "Great Neck" Metric tape wrench set, but the wrench does not grip a 6mm tap securely. The taps all have square ends, but there does not seem to be anything in the wrench that is designed to mate with that square end.

The "sure grip" chuck doesn't. Anybody familiar with these tools? Are they normally OK (at least for occasional use)?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I have to agree. Great Neck tools are the worst of the worst tools I have ever tried.

There seems to be 4 tool qualities.

  1. Top quality Professional tools - best of all tools (but pricy)
  2. Average quality - generally works well for the average homeowner.
  3. Cheap imported stuff - Sells cheap, but is not good quality
  4. Great Neck tools - Apparently these are the rejects from the cheap imported category. They are rejected because they do not fit, grip, or work, or are made out of materials that should heve been put in a dumpster.

I will occasionally buy a cheap imported tool if I dont plan to use it often, but I avoid "Great Neck" at all costs. They should not even be allowed to sell that crap in the stores......

Reply to
jw

I knew I wasn't buying a super-quality product, but I did expect it to survive for the three holes I needed to tap -- and it was on hand at AutoZone. The chuck did grip the 7mm and 8mm taps OK. I am wondering whether the chuck is the same as for the SAE set, whose smallest-size tap is 1/4"; maybe that's just big enough that the chuck grips it OK.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Tap wrenches come in different sizes for a range of tap sizes. The tap wench you have problems with is likely the wrong size.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Great Neck =3D Made in China =3D highly variable quality in design & manufacture. :(

Typically junk, not worth the gas or time to purchase.

Buy used on ebay or Craigslist, you'll get better quality and keep the $'s in the US but not as quickly available.

You can get it fast, right or cheap....pick two.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Since the wrench and the taps came together as a set, I would have expected the wrench to be suitable for all the taps in the set. I am familiar with the more conventional kind of tap wrench -- this kind of thing:

but the set I bought has a different kind of wrench:

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy