Granite + pebbles path

Hi,
Here's the look I want:
http://freeboundaries.com/path.jpg
BUT, I would like granite in place of slate.
Does granite come in that shape? Or can I cut it to that shape on a wet saw. Anyway, how would I go about achieving this look with granite? Of course in needs to be rough so it's not slippery.
Thanks in advance,
Aaron

granite comes in any shape you want. it comes out of the quarry in sheets about 6'x10' or larger, and polished. it can be cut dry with a diamond blade, or on a wet saw if you have smaller pieces, unless you get it fabricated at a place that makes kitchen countertops.
these are about the size of sink cutout. you might want to ask them for a bunch of scraps and work on them yourself.
they'll be slippery as greased glass when wet. you could sandblast them to make them rough, but they won't look very pretty.
that's why they use slate in this application.

The asking around at a countertop outlet is a great idea. The sink cutouts might be just what you're looking for, and typically a countertop slab is polished only on one side. The reverse side will probably look like dull stone, however, as granite doesn't necessarily stand out until polished.
Some places may have boneyards too, scraps too small for any real installation. They can be spendy, however, even tho they may be scrap.
gwandsh wrote:

Can 1.5" granite be cut on a wet saw?

it depends upon the size of the blade, not the material. a 10" wet saw can cut up to about 3.5" thick before it starts running into problems with clearance.
charlie wrote:

way not rough enough for my application, I presume.
Unless there is a way to rough it up - e.g. blast with something? Any ideas?
-snip-

Doesn't sound it-
I've seen split granite pavers & slabs at some hardscaping place or other. My usual vendor is Dagastino block in Schenectady- but a quick look at their site doesn't show any. The slabs were 3-4 inches thick and 2-3' rough rectangles if I remember right- but they would break them on their machinery for a lot less than the cost of a 14" diamond blade.
Call a granite quarry. They will know who carries them.
Jim
-snip-

This isn't the place I saw them, but it is pretty close to what I remember seeing- http://www.newenglandnativestone.com/prodpages/gr1.html
They should work nicely for what you want-- and they shouldn't be slippery when wet.
No big box and few lumber yards are going to know this stuff is even out there. Start at a local quarry and work down tot he retailer.
Jim
says...

You can have it flamed, it is a very rough surface:
http://www.aldonchem.com/mt-granite-honed.htm
--
Dennis

In what part of the world do you live? if in northern NY, VT, or NH - and maybe lots of other places- there is a quarry close enough to look at & see what they have & if they'll split the stone for you.
Granite comes in a bunch of colors, coarseness & grades.
Jim