Got Ants?

Page 2 of 2
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Uh, that's what cats do.
They can dust in place you can't easily reach.
Add pictures here
✖

Na , its more fun hating cats
Add pictures here
✖

You need defenestration of the causative agent.
Add pictures here
✖

Gee - I never thought of you as an especially sweet type of person, based on your posts.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 18, 7:11 am, "Stormin Mormon"

.com...
I sure do
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/17/2011 8:42 PM, ransley wrote:

Put as much of the cereals, sweets, fatty foods in sealed containers. Clean cupboards well. I used to get one or two mice indoors in very late fall...their favorite foods were flour, cereal and dog chows. Ants loved the dog food, too. Just a few crumbs around the dog's bowl would attract a lot of ants. I used to keep most of my pasta in glass cannisters - safe storage, and kind of pretty, too. Nuts and beans in decorative tins. Flour and sugar in glass cannisters.
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/17/2011 9:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

Sorry for the email normin. Oops. :-)
That's been my experience with ants in the house. There is something they like. Might be a lot of things but the OP should try an eliminate the source of food for the ants or they will eventually always come back. I don't know if sweet ants eat wood but even if there is wet rotting wood ants will eat that too. We had a bad ant problem in our last house and it turned out they were eating the framing of the house where water got in and rotted the framing. We'd kill them all and they would come back a few months later.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

That would be carpenter ants. Likely with a tree riddled with them nearby.
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/18/2011 8:26 PM, Michael B wrote:

Probably a species of carpenter ants. After some research I discovered ants don't actually eat wood. They burrow in to look for termites. I'm glad I sold that house. Supposedly the termites had been exterminated.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

Carpenter ants live in wood and eat elsewhere. (Most) termites eat wood and live elsewhere. Carpenter ant infestations are rare in dry wood. Any water and they'll move in quickly. They need water.
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/19/2011 7:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

That's what started it. There was a leak where the facade met the window sill. Leaked into the framing big time. The guy that bought the house had to do some major tear out. Fortunately, on the disclosure, I just told the truth AFAIK.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

That'll do it. That's why I'm a fanatic about any leaks, plumbing or exterior. When we sold our first house I discovered the tile under the 'fridge was loose. I thought it was a simple matter of glue and some grout. It's under the 'fridge, after all. Easy, right? Nope, carpenter ants had gotten into the joists under it. What a mess.

Disclosures are a funny thing. Both times I've sold, I saw them as a good thing. As long as I described the issues and the work done to resolve them, I was pretty well off the hook. Nothing hidden; this is what it is.
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/18/2011 8:55 PM, JimT wrote:

Those were carpenter ants eating your wood. Most pests will invade when their normal food source or shelter is threatened...during times of drought or excessive rain. I remember the drought in .. the '80's?..when bees and yellow jackets tried to get in my eyes when I was outdoors. Couldn't hold an open drink container or they'd be in it.
Just little bits of food, like crumbs on a shelf or the floor, a little sticky stuff on a jar, is an attractant to ants. In Florida, leaving a coffee cake or pie on the countertop is an invitation to every ant in the county...gotta keep it in the fridge.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 17:42:44 -0700 (PDT), ransley

I think virtually all of these baits use the same poison (boric acid by a number of different trade names). The trick is to get the ants to eat it, as you have found. Florida ants are tough and I have found, figure out what they are eating and bait them with that, 12 parts attractant 1 part boric acid. I haven't seen an ant that eats sweets for 10 years. I went through a series of various protein baits. They finally got to the point that all they would eat was dog food that the dog had chewed on. I baited them with that and I haven't seen them since.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 18, 12:17 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If its boric acid, then just dusting inside cabinets should help.
Add pictures here
✖
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Got-Ants-630756-.htm naymin wrote:
For years my friend has the same problem with ants. He solve it very easily by not getting damage of any parts. The method is just simple, get afew diesel from the car tank and put in the place where the ants. Next two or three day all the ants are gone and will never back till now.
------------------------------------- Basement well covers
Add pictures here
✖
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Got-Ants-630756-.htm naymin wrote:
For years my friend has the same problem with ants. He solve it very easily by not getting damage of any parts. The method is just simple, get afew diesel from the car tank and put in the place where the ants. Next two or three day all the ants are gone and will never back till now.
------------------------------------- Basement well covers
Add pictures here
✖
Wow, sounds like our dilemma with Fire Ants we had least year. We moved into our new house May 2010 and after a few months we'd see a fire ant here and there inside, but I didn't think anything of it until we started seeing HUNDREDS of them. They entered through the sand trap under one of our bath tubs and from there entered the walls, worked up the vent pipe into the attic, then went basically all over the house dipping into almost every room following the plumbing and wiring. It was TERRIBLE, but we've been working with a pest control company who is keeping the yard baited plus we've sprayed under the tub several times with Termidor (which is the BEST for ants of all kinds) and they're under control for now (knock on wood). It's been about two months since I saw one, but I'm constantly watching which I'll probably do at least until next winter.
The key as many have said is to keep the yard baited and also put down bait or whatever you can inside as needed. We only had them in the kitchen once when they came down through a column from the attic, but cutting off their source into the house (under bath tub) has seemed to be the biggest thing. I'm also in the process of talking to the builder to have that sand trap covered in concrete, and if I ever do need to get in there, well I'll cross that road when I need to. Living Fire-ant Free is more important :)
But yes, as others have said, don't celebrate until you've gone at least a few weeks to a month or more without seeing any ants. Torro is good, but the best thing youc an do is get the outside baited. And check out Termidor -- that stuff is golden.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 17:42:44 -0700 (PDT), ransley

I used to get ants in my California house every fall. The small, black Argentinian variety.
After taking some classes in natural resources, and learning about "R-rated" species of critters, and then reading about these specific ants, I developed a new strategy that has kept my house ant-free for six years running, now.
These ants are not like most other ants--they don't fly to breed, and the colonies can have any number of queens. When the colony or its territory gets to be too crowded, some queens will peel off and go some distance away to establish a new colony. But the new colonies are not really distinct--the stay in touch, and collectively act as a "super colony".
R-rated species tend to eat themselves out of house and home. Deer, for example, tend to increase in population, to the point of exeeding the carrying capacity of their environment, and then, the population crashes. After forage bounces back, they start the process all over again.
With these ants, small amounts of food left in a tin-can in the garbage can be a huge amount of bounty for them, causing their population to grow exponentially, and then they go looking for more nesting grounds (like the walls of your house).
My strategy with the ants was simple: they get *nothing* from me! I thoroughly cleaned the house, and most importantly, the garbage and other waste cans. Before anthing goes in a waste can, it gets thoroughly washed, dried, and inspected, just like the dishes. Absolutely nothing that could balloon the population of these ants is made available to them.
With every year that ticks by since I started this program, I become more convinced that these ants probably couldn't live in this California environment if there were no people here.
My two next-door neighbors have started doing the same, and they have gotten the same results.
In short, for sixteen years of using poison, I had ants every fall. After six years of keeping food away from them, no more ants. I do see them occasionally in the yards, but they are no longer *everywhere* in the yards. And even in the yards, they are getting rarer ever year.
Of course, if you have young children, you'll probably not be able to run a tight-enough ship to make this work, unless you only let them eat in the bathtub.
--
croy

Add pictures here
✖