Kitchen Ants

Does Home Depot sell any kind of ant bait traps that actually work for kitchen/grease or whatever you wanna call them ants?

There is a store here called "Do It Yourself Pest Control" that has bait traps that have ground silkworm in them, but you have to buy at least 10 of them and the price is around $40.00.

I've used them in the past and they work, but I don't need 10 of them and I don't won't to spend $40.00.

If I have to go that route I will, but if HD has something that works for less money I'd rather do that.

Reply to
Ron

Where do you live?

Reply to
DD_BobK

Orlando

Reply to
Ron

Hit send too soon.

What does it matter?

Reply to
Ron

Just about any hardware store has a little bottle of bait/poison composed of boric acid and sugar water...for grease ants, get a bit of fatty food, like cake or pastry, and put a couple of drops of bait on it. Put it by the ant trail and wait a little while. Gotta get the kitchen clean, too...stuff accumulates even in a clean kitchen that will bring ants indoors...crumbs under the fridge, bits of pet food, sticky spots on shelves, even gunk in sink drains.

Reply to
Norminn

Boric acid + flour or sugar works for ants as well as roaches.

The best solution is to find where they are getting in and seal it off. They'll find another spot - quickly if you live in a tract type home - but at least you'll have a respite.

Outside, we use this...

dadiOH

We had those tiny "sugar ants" a few years ago. They were into *everything*, including an unopened molasses bottle. A good nuking with Amdro took care of them. I did it twice that year and once the next spring and haven't had another invasion.

Reply to
krw

:

Got that right. I found them in a loaf of bread the other day! And then I found them in my bag of dry dog food.

Reply to
Ron

Mice LOVE dog food...good idea to store in solid container. A sticky little smudge on a molasses bottle is a feast for a few ants :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Terro is one of the borax-based baits - for my inside ant problems in Texas, it did a great job of eliminating them.

On the outside, I put a heavy barrier of the Spectracide granules all aroung my house twice a year.

Oh, for the days when we could get Chloradane !!!

Reply to
AngryOldWhiteGuy

***Or you can make your own by purchasing boric acid at a pharmacy - much cheaper for large quantity - and adding your own "flavoring". Personally, I just put the boric acid down as is, careful to include every possible entry, including around electrical/plumbing conduits.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I stared with Terro, but the same formulation comes in generic brands

Try Amdro....applied in small amounts around mounds, carefully so's you don't disturb the nest, it does an amazing job. We used it in our large Florida lawn, but didn't broadcast it. Applied where the fire ants like to nest...along patios, pavers and other masonry...it worked wonders in very small amounts. Far, far better than dumping 20 lbs. of poison on the ground (and into the water).

Reply to
Norminn

We have the cat food in a solid container but it's no match for those teensy sugar ants. After that first invasion *no* food is kept in its original containers. It's helped some, but chemical warfare has worked better. ;-)

...on an *unopend* bottle? Inside? ...not to mention some bottles of liqueur. *yech*

Reply to
krw

The Home Depot - Orlando

4403 Millenia Plaza Way, Orlando, FL 4.0 mi SW (407) 226-1066 =E2=80=8E

call them with your questions

Reply to
DD_BobK