Got Ants?

Page 1 of 2
I been fighting sweet ants, those little ones, in my kitchen for years, trying spraying and Tat and Ortho and baits with no luck, this year they are real, real bad getting everywhere as when they lay their scent they all seem to come back forever. I mean my cubbords, re sealed cereal boxes, my table, chair counters, me in my chair ect. Yesterday I got Grants baits and Combat baits and put them both out at maybe 5pm, I had both brands next to each other and noticed at 6pm a feeding frenzy on the Combat bait, I checked both boxes for active ingrediant and both are the same so I guess they like the attractant in Combat better, and they were still feeding at 11pm which is rare as I always remembered at night they hibernated. Well today for the first time in years NO ANTS. A relief. You guys know me, and I dont work or sell for Combat, this stuff worked and im real suprised and happpy. Now I have to do the Mice somehow. Now I can take my cereal out of the deep freeze!
Add pictures here
✖

Don't celebrate yet :-(
That doesn't sound like enough time to completely kill the entire colony. At least, it usually takes me several days or maybe a week once I've found a suitably delicious bait. Torro generally works best for me but that depends on species, climate, other food sources, and more.
And, whatever you do, don't put away those bait traps yet. Leave them out -- chances are you will see more visitors before you can declare victory.
All this in my not insignificant experience with the damn things.
✖
On 4/17/2011 8:59 PM, Malcolm Hoar wrote:

Torro always did a great job up north (FLorida not as easy). Don't need to worry about entire colonies, just those that forage in the house. A little dab of bait alongside their trail is very effective.

Add pictures here
✖

We had that problem (they even got *inside* the molasses bottles) the first couple of years we were in this house (new construction). I spread ant killer, outside, twice a year for two years, then once a year. No problems.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 17, 9:43 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Honey mixed with boric acid.
Add pictures here
✖

I thought boric acid had to stay as a powder and when it got wet it was usless?
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/18/2011 7:34 AM, ransley wrote:

Nope. That's the active ingredient in Terro nowadays. Used to be arsenic, which worked really well, but they switched to boric acid years back and it apparently works just as well or nearly as well as the arsenic did.
Add pictures here
✖
ransley wrote:

The idea is to get them to eat the boric acid, which they they regurgitate to feed the queen, who subsequently dies.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖

I think you are confusing boric acid with diotamaceus earth
Add pictures here
✖

Both have similar effect on insects. Roaches avoid the dry powder boric acid, which makes it a good perimeter treatment, but will eat stuff (like peanut butter) mixed with b.a.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 17, 8:43 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

They were in my honey, maple syrup, cereal, on my computer, chair, now 1 day and a half later no ants.
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/17/2011 7:42 PM, ransley wrote:

I have the little bastards infiltrating our dishwasher, even when it's *closed*, and the dishwasher and sink are in an island in the middle of the kitchen, smack in the middle of a very large concrete slab, surrounded on all sides by ceramic tile. And they're not getting to the island *over* the tile; they're following some subterranean path. Finding and eliminating (or baiting) their path of entry is virtually impossible unless I remove the island (or the flooring inside)... not fun.
Add pictures here
✖

Put bait where you see them , and under the sink and inside the island.
Add pictures here
✖
ransley wrote:

Think cat.
As for the ants, horned toads eat them. And the horned toad generally stays out of the way - you won't know it's there.
Add pictures here
✖

Im so alergic to cats if I go in a house with cats I know in usualy 30 minutes, i would need adrenalin if I lived with a cat i get so sick. So cats hate me and I hate cats. My dogs are to old to care about mice. Maybe a Rat Terrier, or a 12 ga.
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/18/2011 8:30 AM, ransley wrote:

Schnauzers are "ratters"...our first schnauzer killed a mouse when he was only 6 mos old. He was sitting proudly in the kitchen doorway with his prize when we came home that evening.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:51:23 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

The problem with any predator scheme is that they are genetically predisposed not to kill all of them so the prey always has the critical mass to reproduce.
We always hear about Touser the wonder cat before these conversations are over but the thing to remember is he never ran out of rats to kill. If you want "wild kingdom" in your home with mutilated rodent bodies all over, by all means get a cat. If you really want to get rid of rodents, fix your perimeter problems and trap out all that are inside. Then work on the outside to make it less habitable for rodents. First thing ... stop feeding them.
Add pictures here
✖
ransley wrote:

You can get shots and undergo an extensive desensitization regimen.

All the more reason to live with two or three.
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/18/2011 2:44 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Spend hundreds of dollars and screw up my body chemistry just so I can have an expensive and smelly shit-producing predator sharing my roof? Yeah, that makes a whole bunch of sense. Any competent allergist will tell you- the best cure for allergies, when possible, is to simply avoid the trigger substance.
Standard disclaimer- I <like> cats. Next to 18-25 year old human females, they are my favorite living thing to watch.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
aemeijers wrote:

Well, I wouldn't put it exactly that way, but, uh ... yeah.
Add pictures here
✖