Gophers

Anyone know how you can get rid of gophers -- darned things making holes all over my backyard.
Herb Robinson wrote:

Get rid of the grubs they are eating. If there is no food around they will leave.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Gophers are vegetarian.
Pat Keith wrote:

You are right, I was thinking of moles. However the word gopher is often applied to any number of different animals including, incorrectly, moles. Although that was not what I was thinking of, it is possible the original writer may have mis-identified the problem.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Juicy Fruit gum. Roll up a stick and put it in a main runway.

Get some gopher bombs , Giant Destroyer. Light them , put in hole, cover hole and stay away, do all holes at once. Have a bucket of dirt with you to fill hole fast. Dont breath the smoke and do when wind isnt blowing to your house , Be sure they are in the holes.

For pocket gophers, if that's what you have, the only effective control method I've found is trapping. The Macabee trap has worked well for me. Victor also sells a trap which I've been told is effective, though the Macabee seems easier to set. Have a look at these sites:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7433.html
http://ag.arizona.edu/urbanipm/rodents/pocketgophers.html
--
Luke

Luke wrote:

The term gopher is somewhat generic since it is used in some regions to describe groundhogs as well. The animal that we call a "ground hog" around here (also sometimes called a "gopher" is quite a bit bigger than than a pocket gopher (also bigger than a domesticated cat) and you don't need a "probe" to find their dens. If you don't watch out, your entire foot may fall into their holes. in europe they are called marmots.
Below is an amusing article of some city folks being scared by an immature groundhog. lol
http://www.herald-sun.com/orange/10-492910.html
Rob Penna
Rob Green wrote:

I believe I have a cure for groundhogs and the like. Stuff their holes with plastic bags from the grocery store and follow with egg-sized gravel. Keep doing it if they dig out. It took two or three rounds, but I haven't seen even one in 2 months and none of our plants have been mowed down.
Gravel in a bag ? well i tried gravel, every hole I filled they dug another till I had 10 holes in a 5 ft area, then i Smoked em." Giant destroyer"

Go to home depot and get some poison. I think it's called strychnine (sp??). Comes in granules/pills.
go near a heap of dirt and find the tunnel to it. Best way to do this is with a thin metal rod. poke around in the ground until you find the tunnel leading to the dirt heap. when you find it, make a small opening to the tunnel with the rod, making sure you don't collapse the tunnel. Pour in a few of the poison-granules and carefully close the opening, trying not to close the tunnel itself. I've done this about 4 times and it worked out every time.