Playing with gophers

I finally got my pocket gopher killer working. This is the third version of it, and I believe this one is a keeper. It uses a welding torch handle and some other fittings to put propane and pure O2 down a gopher burrow. Then a spark. The concussion kills them, removes the oxygen, and collapses a good bit of the tunnel. Go to Rodenator.com and look at their videos. Theirs is $1800, and no tanks or regulators.. Mine was from parts I had, and could be built for $50. Tanks and regulators extra, bringing the whole deal to about $500.

Yesterday, I was working in the driveway, and one was shoving dirt out of a mound. Why that cheeky little guy! I went and hooked up the gopher device, and within a few minutes he was in gopher heaven.

I've used poisons, traps, flooding, but this works.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

$500 to kill a gopher. LOL

I got a gopher this afternoon with my $30 spade. Then I used the spade to cut out some sod, where a garden bed will go. Tomorrow, I'll use it to put a nice edge around a few other beds. I could probably find some other uses for it. What else can the gopher killer do, for all the money that it cost?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I've gotten rid of many gophers with just my size 12 New Balances. Tamp down the tunnel and either (1) catch them in the cave in or (2) they just get annoyed and leave. Done this a couple times a year for the last couple of decades.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

LOL =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

It can hire out for $200 a day to kill other people's gophers. Try that with a $30 spade.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I've been using a hav-a-hart and then shooting them in the trap with a .22 and then shoving the carcass down the hole. That discourages other chucks from staying there. But now they've moved under several of my sheds so it might be time to sit quietly for a half hour and use the 12 guage again.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I had ya figured as staking the carcass to an 8" high cross, as a warning to any other pests. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Hey - that's a hell-uv-a good idea

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

We seem to have a few wild coyotes and a fox. Groundhogs have disappeared.

Reply to
Stubby

They're in the Federal Witness Protection Program.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

.22-250 Remington