Goodman, Armstrong, Amana & Lennox furncaces

Time to replace our 32 year old Lennox (3 cracks and (at least) 1 small hole in the heat exchanger. I've investigated all three online, and have gotten two installation quotes so far.
We've decided on an 80% efficiency, 2 stage variable speed,and it seems that the major difference between these three is the warranty, with Lennox having the best. Goodman is the lowest cost, but with a standard 5&1 warranty.
One company priced out all three without comment as to quality. The second company priced out the Armstrong and the Lennox and bad-mouthed the Goodman. Third company is showing up this afternoon.
In reviewing older posts I've seen comments referring to even older posts that the Armstrong has a strong reputation.
I guess I'm looking for newer opinions/recommendations. We decided against the 92% efficiency as, around here at least, they are nearly twice as expensive and natural gas is still cheap, and likely to remain so.
All replies appreciated.
Bob

Where you located? Greg

Ok, I wondered where you were to see if a 90% would be a better bet. I would guess you winters are pretty mild so it may be a toss up. Greg
Greg; Consider this. When it breaks, will parts be available. Today's furnaces seem to be a bit proprietary [not as universal as yesterday's].
The contractor you choose, ask him for some references. Ask you neighbors for some references on contractors too. [You'll get an honest opinion of the work by your neighbors, friends, and relatives.]
I'm a Carrier person, but, there's some York folks on this list. I'll tell ya that Lennox makes a good product. And so does Armstrong. Just not as good. [opinion.]
Let's not talk about GMC [Goodman / Janitrol]
--
Zyp
"Greg O" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Get your head out buddy, you are talking the the wrong person! Greg
Brands? Go with the better contractor.
Amana is owned by Goodman and Armstrong is owned by Lennox.
IMO, Amana used to be a good name, but I'm reserving judgment until I see what Goodman does to that name. Lennox is equipment, but the parts are more specialized than most other brands. What that means is that you will be paying more for a similar part on a Lennox than on another brand.

The first contractor is the one who installed and worked on my MIL's furnace (she lives with us now) and always treated her fairly. He told me that initially Goodman "cheapened" the Amana line, but has now brought it back to quality: lifetime warranty on heat exchanger, 10/10 on parts and labor. This warranty is shared by Lennox, but the mention of parts costs is informative. This company has been in business for over 50 years, so they must be doing something right. The second contractor keeps gobbling up independent contractors, and is probably the biggest one in the valley which, strangely, is not reassuring.
Waiting on the 3rd contractor tomorrow (the one who originally "condemned" the furnace). On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:16:01 -0500, "HeatMan"

I recently had my hot water oil furnace replaced with an 80 percent unit. Empire II. I live in south eastern New York State.
The HVAC guy claimed his test equipment showed the furnace running at 84 percent when he was done with the install.
He suggested the 80 percent unit over the 90 percent unit because it was more reliable compared to the more complicated 90 percent units he has worked with.
I really don't know if this is true or not.

Not true any more. If comparing 90% units to old 80% it is true, but over the years the 80% units have aquired all the componants of the 90% units, except for the secondary heat exchanger. So now with a 80%, you get all the complexity, without the efficancy! May as well buy a 90%, unless you are in the south. My own 90% furnace has cost me $6 in parts in 13 years! Greg